Motorized Bike laws in CA

This is the best summary and history of CA Moped / Motorized Bicycle Law.
http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/california-vehicle-codes/

There has been confusion throughout the state of California ever since 1996 about the moped laws.

Most people think you don’t need a license, if it’s under 50cc and has pedals.

The confusion comes from the dual definition of motorized bicycle, which came out in 1996.

In the 1970’s when mopeds came to the USA, you did not need a license.
Ever since about 1981 you have needed a drivers license on a moped.
Since 1989 it’s been a motorcycle class license.
From 1996 to 2014, 20 mph 1000 watt electric bicycles don’t need a license.
Since 2000, motorized scooter laws came out.
In 2014, electric bicycle speed and power limits became 28 mph and 750 watt. California has more motorbike and oddball vehicle laws than most states.

Last edited:
they have a list there of things that one can't use - should they at some time add "anything with a motor, but not on this list is illegal" then they'd have it

as long as they do not mention manual trans, it is not on either list
if they do not say it is illegal, it is just unmentioned
If you are NOT a Moped / Motorized Bicycle then you are a Motorcycle as defined by CA laws.
Motorcycle
A motorcycle is a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground per California Vehicle Code (CVC) 400 (a)

That definition certainly includes a non conforming motorized bicycle.
2 wheels, a seat and a motor.

Actually you would be an illegal unregistered
Motor-driven cycle
because your motorized bicycle is under 150cc which is the only difference between a
Motorcycle and a Motor-driven cycle in CA.

not recognized isn't same as illegal - you posted reg230 above for registering motorized bikes and it has in its list "has autotrans and ..." which should be checked no for no autotrans and later says "if you checked no for any of those you can't register"

just have to wait till they get the law and the forms fixed

speaking of mopeds in 70s, that's how I bought my cycle shop - I was head mechanic when owner started selling mopeds to parents of kids 8 to 10 or 12 years old, 6 months later the law required age 16 and he left town just ahead of a screaming crowd of parents and many lawsuits

I was able to buy shop and change its name pretty cheap.

This is the best summary and history of CA Moped / Motorized Bicycle Law.
http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/california-vehicle-codes/

There has been confusion throughout the state of California ever since 1996 about the moped laws.

Most people think you don’t need a license, if it’s under 50cc and has pedals.

The confusion comes from the dual definition of motorized bicycle, which came out in 1996.

In the 1970’s when mopeds came to the USA, you did not need a license.
Ever since about 1981 you have needed a drivers license on a moped.
Since 1989 it’s been a motorcycle class license.
From 1996 to 2014, 20 mph 1000 watt electric bicycles don’t need a license.
Since 2000, motorized scooter laws came out.
In 2014, electric bicycle speed and power limits became 28 mph and 750 watt. California has more motorbike and oddball vehicle laws than most states.
not recognized isn't same as illegal - you posted reg230 above for registering motorized bikes and it has in its list "has autotrans and ..." which should be checked no for no autotrans and later says "if you checked no for any of those you can't register"

just have to wait till they get the law and the forms fixed

speaking of mopeds in 70s, that's how I bought my cycle shop - I was head mechanic when owner started selling mopeds to parents of kids 8 to 10 or 12 years old, 6 months later the law required age 16 and he left town just ahead of a screaming crowd of parents and many lawsuits

I was able to buy shop and change its name pretty cheap.
Really that argument again? Jesus christ you guys just don't give it up.

Well I'll give it one more swing, just type the words manual transmission into Google, it says this and only this by its own definition: an automotive transmission consisting of a system of interlocking gear wheels and a lever that enables the driver to shift gears manually.

Google isn't a legal expert but clutching to disengage a gear is not the same as shifting gears, because neutral is not a gear, it is the inherent lack of one.

Aka: you don't have a manual transmission, you have an automatic without the distinct ability to shift all on your own.

actually, it sounds more like direct drive with no transmission

I'm test riding bikes all the time in a neighborhood with cops on the street every day - I have no smart phone and haven't carried anything (like licenses or credit cards or old mail) with my name on it in maybe 25 years - I ride past, cops smile & nod, I smile and nod and all is well.

actually, it sounds more like direct drive with no transmission

I'm test riding bikes all the time in a neighborhood with cops on the street every day - I have no smart phone and haven't carried anything (like licenses or credit cards or old mail) with my name on it in maybe 25 years - I ride past, cops smile & nod, I smile and nod and all is well.
Your transmission is technically the 4 gears between the crankshaft and the rear wheel that can't be shifted into or out of, only disengaged.

You probably look so old that they don't see you as a threat, just something that happens to old people..

Back