Motorized Bike Rear Mag Wheel Install w/ Disc Brakes

• Thread starter Deleted member 30828
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30828

I posted a few days ago that my standard bike rim walls kept forming cracks and splitting apart, and I'm now needing to buy and install my 3rd wheel in just over a year.

You guys informed me it's the brake pads chewing through the wall, and suggested I upgrade to Mag wheels with disc brakes.

So... I just got my new Mag wheel and disc brake, and I'm having a hard time finding any detailed instructions or videos online for how to convert to this new setup. Hopefully this post can be used as reference for others having the same trouble.

Now that I have the wheel, I can not see how the heck the rear sprocket is supposed to be mounted on the wheel. Supposedly the Mag wheel I purchased is made for motorized bikes, but of course, it does not come with instructions.

Do I need some sort of adapter for the sprocket?

Any help is appreciated, and I'm sure others would find the answers useful as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210817-123237.jpg
    Screenshot_20210817-123237.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20210817_133330.jpg
    IMG_20210817_133330.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 315
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Front and rear.
That's just insane. $110 for one wheel and it's a qr axle

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Front and rear.
Oh sorry, those are quick release. There are some with bolt on though.

I noticed the mag he bought is for a cassette on pedal side if he wants single speed free wheel he needs another adaptor. Like my first photo in post #14. Zoom in the first photo

The sprocket, then the spacer and then the disc.
So...my final part I need is coming tomorrow, the 6 hole sprocket. I'm heading to the hardware store today or tomorrow to pick up a few things for the install of the rear Mag wheel with disc brake. It seems obvious I'm going to need some longer screws that go thru all 3 parts, and of course I need to grab some more loctite.

Anything else that you are aware of that I will most likely need for the install? It seems pretty straight forward at this point, but if there are any surprises I could encounter or added parts I might need, please let me know. Thanx ✌️

So...my final part I need is coming tomorrow, the 6 hole sprocket. I'm heading to the hardware store today or tomorrow to pick up a few things for the install of the rear Mag wheel with disc brake. It seems obvious I'm going to need some longer screws that go thru all 3 parts, and of course I need to grab some more loctite.

Anything else that you are aware of that I will most likely need for the install? It seems pretty straight forward at this point, but if there are any surprises I could encounter or added parts I might need, please let me know. Thanx ✌️
I managed to sheer a set of fasteners so after extracting the broken bolts I drilled into the hub 30mm deep and re taped the holes for 6mm and used hardened bolts with a thicker shoulder that went trough the rotor, spacer, and gear nice and snug for more strength and have not had an issue since, that was in 2016 and around 5000 miles ago.

Just wondering. How are you going to mount the caliper's? I havn't heard of anybody talking about the bracket for the caliper's. Well does your frame got a bracket on it ? If not you will need that too.

Just wondering. How are you going to mount the caliper's? I havn't heard of anybody talking about the bracket for the caliper's. Well does your frame got a bracket on it ? If not you will need that too.
You will need one for front and rear unless you have bracket on frame.

Yup got the bracket already.

It's an early 2000's mountain bike. Here are some pics for reference. I'll also post an after pic, assuming install goes okay. Here is a pic of the (now pretty large) crack that formed in the wall of my rim due to the brake pads, thus the reason I hope to switch to disc. Fortunately, this is a double wall rim, so it's been holding together. Otherwise it would probably be useless by now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210826_175523.jpg
    IMG_20210826_175523.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20210826_175450.jpg
    IMG_20210826_175450.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 166
Back