did a 50 mi. round trip today with fishing gear---no problems. bait store guy was hypnotized by the bike,...wouldn't let me leave,....until the phone rang back inside the store,.... and I seized the moment. --------gone.

did a 50 mi. round trip today with fishing gear---no problems. bait store guy was hypnotized by the bike,...wouldn't let me leave,....until the phone rang back inside the store,.... and I seized the moment. --------gone.
Any bites? :whistle:
BTW have you posted a photo of your bike at all? I'm wondering what sort of build you did. I made mine to carry fishing gear over longish distances and it ended up somewhat unlike most other builds so id be interested.. :coffee::unsure:

Mid June I am taking a 3700 kms motorcycle trip across Labrador.
I would LOVE to take an epic trip with a motorized bicycle, and probably will.
You guys know about Alexander Kiefer?

Do a search on him. Rode this 30cc gear drive 4 stroke all over the place.
Facebook info on Alex Kiefer
Some more stuff

The secret is doing your part for reliability and traveling light.
I know something about this from years in Infantry.
  • Only carry the clothes you need for the coldest condition, no spares.
  • Drink and eat along the way if you can. Carry minimum consumables.
  • Bring and wear the best, the most durable. No redundancies, no spares.
  • Look at everything you bring. Will I use it everyday? Is there a lighter one?
My motorcycle is only a year old but it will have new tires, chain, oil, filters,and brake pads inspected before the trip with a shakedown distance test ride. I will have minimal tools to most tasks. Remove a wheel, plug a tire, adjust chain, tighten screws and bolts, etc.

Ever read the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? It is a darned good start. Two people on a 1964 300cc bike cross America. When I was 16 I regularly went on 500 kms day trips on my 1967 150cc bike. Later I took a dirt bike 1600 kms and back. Slept where I stopped, like a good soldier would.

I'm glad you revived an old post. Wish more people would. If it is good info, bring it up again.

Last edited:
Mid June I am taking a 3700 kms motorcycle trip across Labrador.
I would LOVE to take an epic trip with a motorized bicycle, and probably will.
You guys know about Alexander Kiefer?
View attachment 87013
Do a search on him. Rode this 30cc gear drive 4 stroke all over the place.
Facebook info on Alex Kiefer
Some more stuff

The secret is doing your part for reliability and traveling light.
I know something about this from years in Infantry.
  • Only carry the clothes you need for the coldest condition, no spares.
  • Drink and eat along the way if you can. Carry minimum consumables.
  • Bring and wear the best, the most durable. No redundancies, no spares.
  • Look at everything you bring. Will I use it everyday? Is there a lighter one?
My motorcycle is only a year old but it will have new tires, chain, oil, filters,and brake pads inspected before the trip with a shakedown distance test ride. I will have minimal tools to most tasks. Remove a wheel, plug a tire, adjust chain, tighten screws and bolts, etc.

Ever read the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? It is a darned good start. Two people on a 1964 300cc bike cross America. When I was 16 I regularly went on 500 kms day trips on my 1967 150cc bike. Later I took a dirt bike 1600 kms and back. Slept where I stopped, like a good soldier would.

I'm glad you revived an old post. Wish more people would. If it is good info, bring it up again.
ZEN and The Art of Motorcycle Maintnance.
I thought I was the only person who had read or heard about that book. Brings back memories of road trips and of being a kid and of the lessons of life. Its Been a long times since I've read it but I may just have to pick it up and give it a read again.

Am planning to do a 500-600 across Wisconsin trip this summer once I get the charge options on my serial hybrid ebike to 320W or 500W. I know someone here posted it before but does anyone remember the company or tube name for that tube where you dont have to take off the wheel? The tube is like a long sausage and u just tuck it into the tire with the tire and wheel still on the bike. I think this is gold as you know we got tons of s**t going on the back wheel and removing it to change a flat is like horrible.

I "test loaded" my rig for the trip to AZ the other day. I really HAVE to reduce my load. holy lord,.....the bike was almost un-lift-able. I got on and rode it,...it felt mushy and flex-ey,... but at cruise speed it was doing okay. it was actually easy to pedal which was re-assuring. definitely NOT "nimble". more like a lead sled. surly DOES make a bulletproof bike. it took the weight. but i have to have some sort of handling/ability to recover QUICKly when im traveling next to fast-moving traffic. I gotta lighten this thing up

I made it to California from NY on a (82?) honda cm400 custom. and it was a side-by-side like his. holy sore ass. took 7 days and I pushed myself. very little sight seeing. was deadly afraid of getting stuck in rain

Am planning to do a 500-600 across Wisconsin trip this summer once I get the charge options on my serial hybrid ebike to 320W or 500W. I know someone here posted it before but does anyone remember the company or tube name for that tube where you dont have to take off the wheel? The tube is like a long sausage and u just tuck it into the tire with the tire and wheel still on the bike. I think this is gold as you know we got tons of sh*t going on the back wheel and removing it to change a flat is like horrible.

Mousse tube? We use them on dirtbikes. I don't like them. I find keeping a spare tube and patch kit on hand as the best answer. I have tubeless on the new Duke. I actually carry a tubeless bicycle plug kit because it is small and so I don't have to ream out the holes. I'm running on a plugged tire right now, 10 min to repair and no problems there after.

Mousse tube? We use them on dirtbikes. I don't like them. I find keeping a spare tube and patch kit on hand as the best answer. I have tubeless on the new Duke. I actually carry a tubeless bicycle plug kit because it is small and so I don't have to ream out the holes. I'm running on a plugged tire right now, 10 min to repair and no problems there after.

No, no. Its an inflatable tube just like a regular tube except it is cut off and sealed at one end so like a giant inflatable sausage. When you get a flat, you simple deflate or remove old one (cut if not this type) and then tuck in this tube into the wheel and inflate. The key is that you do not have to remove the wheel to remove the old tube and put in this new tube and then inflate. I tried looking for it on youtube but to no avail. I know someone posted it here. nvm i found it. might not be huffy branded one i saw before.

Here is their cheesy PR video

Back