Motorized Human Transportation other than bicycling

Since this is the General Discussion forum................

Anyone consider making your own unique ways of transportation?

I'm not sure about how the laws are around this, and I'm researching, however, some information or insight from other members here would always be good. I just hope that someone being propelled by something other than a bicycle or motorcycle would not be subject to legal scrutiny. ...
This depends on where you live, obviously.

(-generally speaking-) In the US, the only type of non-motorized-vehicle that is allowed to use public roads is bicycles. This is why you can't ride ATV's, go-peds or pocket bikes in the streets.

I know that in Illinois, bicycles are the only allowed non-motorized vehicles. Riding toys that do not technically qualify as bicycles (such as small childrens' riding toys) are confined to use only upon sidewalks. And some motorized toys like go-peds and pocket bikes are also prohibited from public sidewalks as well, meaning you basically can only operate them on private property.

Local laws can allow other vehicles on public roads. A few places around the US (heavy retirement communities mostly) allow golf carts to be used extensively.

ATV's are motor vehicles under IL law, by the by.... but they are a class that is not roadworthy. They aren't required to be registered at all, but they do have VIN#s and the condition of the title is supposed to be kept current with respect to the present owner (anytime you buy an ATV, you're supposed to file for a title on it within 30 or 60 days or something, just like you're supposed to do with regular cars and trucks).
~

I've seen motorized roller blades for sale. Also, a little single wheel, motorized 'pusher' on a bar that you can strap on. You can use it with roller blades, push scooters, skateboards, skis, etc.

The Motorized pusher was an idea I was pondering earlier. I wonder if you could legally have rollerblades and use a pusher like that to travel the shoulder or bicycle lane.
Another idea I had was to contain the engine inside a backpack, and have it drive a hydraulic pump of some kind and have hoses connected to the skates to power the skates' wheels.

Also as far as a wheelchair, I was actually thinking of using or building a regular non-motorized hand-powered wheelchair and hiding a small engine under the seat and make it non-visible from the back, and limit the speed to 15-25mph. I figured the wheelchairs like that would not look unusual or motorized like the hoverrounds like you usually see.

Last edited:
Somebody please tell me that they remember the heavy motorized backpack with that huge fan on the back, that you could use for a bike, skates, skateboard, or anything else on wheels... as long as you didn't turn to the side!!

What was the name?!?

I race lawnmowers, and I often use it to go to the store. I of course have been harassed by the police, but I might have found a way around that. I could license it as an agricultural vehicle! No licence plate required, just the right lights and reflectors. And I could keep up with traffic (mine goes about 45 mph, 50 with the wind in my back). And I am currently working on one that can do highway speeds.

Attachments

• 100_1656-1.jpg
    100_1656-1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 162
Yup, no age limit or license required for agricultural equipment in MS either. Don't even think you need to register it here, but I'm not 100% positive.

I doubt they'd let you ride at highway & interstate speeds, tho. But then again, the law's the law!

You know, an old Gravely Model L two wheeled tractor with the hitched seperate rear tractor seat could be re-geared for higher speeds, and still be a tractor.

Yes, but it would be very hard to control. I'm frightened just thinking about it.

In most states aren't agricultural vehicles limited on speed?
Though that doesn't have to be a deal killer; at least you could ride.

Back