Motorized LandRider in the Snow

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
3:09 AM
At 250 lbs was able to go up any hill at least 8 mph. Roads had some ice on them. Bike shifts 5 gears automatically. Staton Inc setup. Robin Subaru 35 engine 33 cc, 1.6 HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
LR, that was great. Uno, I know you were, but you really need to be careful when the weathers a ???? Uno, that engine really sounds like it would take you on many trips. Good looking set-up!!!!!~

Be good,

Glen

Yeah got kind of scary when I hit black ice a couple of times. Weather should be getting a lot warmer this week. Hope to have another video out soon with my nephew filming me. Then you'll be able to see just how steep these hills are.

Yes, I lived in Knoxville for quite a good while. I know that there are some pretty major hills in the Oak Ridge area. How many miles have you got on the set-up?

LR, another vote for great video. And I think you had a good vision for your build, in that you thought about what you really wanted and built it.
A few tech questions. It sounded like your bike was shifting up well under power. Was it? Are the auto shift points adjustable? Whether they are or not, I think you have more than one front sprocket, right? If so, do you shift with it before getting into 7th on your auto shift? And if you do, have you ever inadvertently shifted such that your centrifugal clutch was not fully engaged? Since you can size your sprockets for a close range of engine speeds, what is your range? If you start in your smallest front sprocket (I assume you do), then how fast are you going when your centrifugal clutch engages? Finally, how is your drivetrain/aut shift assembly holding up under your engine power?

Anyhow, congrats again for a well thought out, well executed build.

The bike is a 5 speed fully automatic. I don't shift anything thereby meeting my state ( Tennessee ) requirement of an automatic transmission system.
1360090545-picsay.jpg
I use to run three chainrings up front but now use only a 34 ring. I've use a custom built 5 speed 16-34 freewheel.
IMAG0088.jpg

Yes the shift points are adjustable with the cadence adjuster screw on the derailleur. The setup will shift under full power with no problem. My level ground speed is 29 mph. I'm 250 lbs and can go up any hill here in Tennessee at least 8 mph. On the Staton gearbox the clutch engages around 4000 rpm. The Robin Subaru EHO 35 engine max rpm is 8000. Upshift occur at 7000 rpm and downshifts occur at 5300 rpm.

Last edited:
picture-picsay.jpgpicsay-1380894565612.jpgpicture-2-picsay.jpg
nice but the wheel will fail in every way possible. expect a bent or broken axle any minute. no joke

im curious to see the derailer after giving you such good advicce about the wheel please.

The hub is a Staton Inc hub, the spokes are very high quality stainless steel. The rim is a double walled. I custom built a 5 speed freewheel (34, 28, 24, 20,16). I use a LandRider derailleur. I've been riding the bike for 3 years now. So far no failures. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Last edited:
picture-3-picsay.jpg
derailler? not a staton?
do u feel like sharing?
Im sorry dont want to be rude but i have done maintenance on 10 000 bikes. all kinds mostly. its nice actually but the wheel i think is entry level and a huge eyesore for our gasbikes in general. the wheel serves statons agenda but leaves the user w an

expensive unsealed bearing system and glass durability as it is department store quality and purely disposable hub worth only couple dollars.
the freewheel is a staton yes
thanks for sharing. the derailer is nice/ who makes that?:giggle:

The derailleur is a LandRider autoshift derailleur. Staton didn't build the freewheel, I built it. Staton Inc does build the hub its not a department store hub. The hub has a heavy duty axle and 4 sealed bearings. David also machines his own hub shells and axles. It has right hand treads on the right side and left hand treads on the left side. The rim is double walled SunLite. I now run Kendra 838 tires on the front and rear. The tire is patterned a motorcycle tire. I also use an extra thick slime filled tube. I laced and dish the wheel myself. It's cost was close to $230. I custom fit the derailleur drive pulley behind the my custom built 5 speed 34-16 freewheel.

Here is another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDGIIdn--s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Back