Motorized Penny Farthing?

Hypothermia-acally Speaking

It's still cold up here in Michigan ... I wonder if this would work in deep snow with studded tires.? :whistle:

Would anybody believe, there was a Mr Thomas Stevens who had the nerve of riding around the world ( he cheated a bit in China) on one of those contraptions, starting in San Francisco in 1884 and returning back there in 1887.It's a great read if it's sleeting outside. (472 pages!).Republished by Stackpole books.This guy was truly amazing.www.stackpolebooks.com.
Title:Around The World On A Bicycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the gearing really be rediculously low? Seems to me it is a matter of feet per minute on the driver and driven. The driven wheel won't turn very fast, but look at the circumference, Keith Williams

A rollerdrive on the rearwheel would solve that problem, would put some weight where you really need it too!.

Would anybody believe, there was a Mr Thomas Stevens who had the nerve of riding around the world ( he cheated a bit in China) on one of those contraptions, starting in San Francisco in 1884 and returning back there in 1887.It's a great read if it's sleeting outside. (472 pages!).Republished by Stackpole books.This guy was truly amazing.www.stackpolebooks.com.
Title:Around The World On A Bicycle.

I will have to pick up a copy,sounds like a interesting read.:book::book:

It certainly is,how he survived getting across the Sierras was astounding.He followed the railroad track,there were no roads, but it was a single track.So he had to make it to an outrigger(complete with penny farthing bicycle) in order to escape an oncoming train !.Penny Farthing refers to old British coinage,a penny is a largish coin about 1" diameter,a farthing is 1/2 penny and smaller than a dime,corresponding to the wheels of the bicycle. The book is illustrated which adds to it's appeal,I found it quite fascinating.Mr Stevens in his later years ended up running a pub in London.

Keith, when I said ridiculously low I was thinking of a friction drive on the front wheel.

If it were a chain drive, for instance, just the reverse would be the case. It would be a fast, fast bike. Too fast, probably.

Back