Motorized Recumbent

4 stroke on recumbent

7-23-08
Hi, all
If anyone's still reading, I received the Ryobi 26.2 cc 4 stroke engine yesterday and installed it on the recumbent.
I ran a test today and it got 231 mpg.
So, it's about the same as the 2 stroke 31cc Ryobi.
But, the 4 stroke is MUCH quieter and a real joy to ride. It also has a little more torque but a little less horse power. So, it goes up hills a little better and is a little slower at top speed (25 mph v. 30 mph).
Overall, I must prefer the 4 stroke and will keep that on for now.

Have fun!
Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

7-24-08
Hi,
I switched to the Ryobi 26.2cc 4 stroke engine and love it! It's VERY quiet and smooth and has a little more torque but a little less top end. It gets about 230 mpg.
I will stick with this set up for now since the new engine is such a dream to run.

Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

Yeah I love mine also, and your right the forums could use a section just for recumbents. Did the search found this, you should change to the urethane drive roller, much better for the tires.

Hi, pumpbuilder
Thanks for the support!
Can you help me locate a suitable urethane drive roller?
I have a 3/8" crank shaft that's threaded with 24T threads. Currently, I screw a BMX footpeg onto the crank.

Thanks again!
Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

Hi, PB
Thanks again! I've looked at their kits and have definitely considered it.
I was shopping for a used motor of the type they recommend and almost got one the other day but I was too late. It was sold.
So, once I get a suitable engine, I think I'll get a kit, especially now that I know the friction drive will actually work in the rain! I didn't know that before.
I noticed you've been using their kits since 1993. Man, that's quite a testimonial. They might want to use YOU in their marketing!
It's weird that there seems to be some resistance to a recumbent section. I hope that will be reconsidered since they truly do have unique issues and, while they are not nearly as common as other styles of bikes, those of us who ride them could really help each other out a lot more if we knew who we were and where to go for advice and ideas.
So, again, thanks for the support!

Have a great weekend!
Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

Yeah its been funny how the belt & Chain folks beat up friction drives about wet weather and I don't know why more folks don't talk about his all weather drive roller but.... my daughter even used it in the snow once. I worry more about the strain on spokes[Belt Drive] causing a catastrophic failure at speed from a hard bump. Worst thing that ever happened to me was a cable broke once when I did not maitain it properly so I had just pedal power home but with the standard, non clutch model like I use there is no drag on the system when not in use so its just the extra 11 lbs to slow you down. The cable issue is gone now as he improved that part years ago. His maple drive rollers are fine as well but I like the eurathane because they look good. Lets face it, on the recumbent your styling, lol.

Last edited:
hi guys.... thought I'd jump right in here.....
I like friction drive....I have 2 bikes ,set up friction....one Staton...one homebuilt. I have not had any tire issues.

I have a bikeE.
It rides soooo comfy!
I want to motorize it....bad!
(I just don't want to mess up this cool bike)

there must be 3 of us bent riders now...hehehe.
I'm not seeing any resistance to a recumbent section. (Our admins are on vacation.)

this thread is a good place to start.
you guys can talk me into motoring up my bent.

Hi,
Have you any idea of the 'ideal' tire pressure for your friction drive recumbent?
I've done some experimenting with my Rans Tailwind recumbent and notice that the rear ends seems to fishtail easily when the tire pressure is a little low.
But, at the same time, I notice that the friction drive seems to do a little better at gripping the tire when the pressure is a little low.

Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

Howdy srdavo,
Thanks for joining us. Three Amigos!
The 'resistance' comment relates to the suggestion I made for a separate section for recumbent issues being met with a very brief reply to 'do a search'. It's hard to take that as enthusiasm! Perhaps 'resistance' was too strong a word...
I was VERY careful when I motorized my $995 Rans Tailwind recently. I just taped everything and did not drill or change anything permanently. It was not a problem. I LOVE my MB recumbent!
IMHO, it's WELL worth doing since it's so comfortable!

Have fun!
Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

Back