Motorizing a road bike?

zippinaround

Local time
5:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever fitted a kit to a road bike ? Or is it a bad idea with the skinny wheels? Here's what I was thinking of fitting a China girl to.
Bentini Elite Gents Alloy Road Bike -54cm.jpg

Thin frame and thinner tires make for bad traction and potential frame breaks. Plus 0 suspension suuuuuuuucks

those are exactly the kind of bikes that the kits were designed for - can't tell from pic how fat that front frame tube is, but should be an easy build

might have to get rid of front derailer (possibly not) and those water bottle mounts in front can be fixed by putting a piece of PVC over the lower one with a hole drilled at the frame boss

i dunno frame looks good to me altho it is alum alloy my main concern would be the wheels , most likely need to make a hub adapter . but i reckon it could be a good idea. just never seen any engines fitted to racer type bikes i'm guessing there is a reason for that.
bentini elite.jpeg

I'd get wider tires, thicker gauge spokes, front shocks, cushy seat and a straight handlebar. The handlebar is just preference, rest are a must for a safe and comfortable ride.

i figure if you already have other builds done just go for it unless it is a relatively expensive bike. there are a few videos online that uses the road bike frame but their tires are just a bit thicker than yours.

i figure if you already have other builds done just go for it unless it is a relatively expensive bike. there are a few videos online that uses the road bike frame but their tires are just a bit thicker than yours.
i just noticed it is almost the same as a giant aluxx i have here , but the reason it caught my eye was the fact it was 100€ sells new for around 800€. any bikes i've built so far none have had any suspension , so not too bothered by comfort.

My first build was a bike with 700c x 35 wheels. The frame may work but you must have beefy, flat proof tires. No go. Don't even try it. Pinch flats are inevitable due to high speed and greater weight.

Back