SnowyAlex

Local time
12:50 AM
(Repost from a wrong forum section/after reading forum rules oops)

'Allo there!

I recently picked up a 20"x2.10 single speed Workmans folding tricycle (An older version of this, presumably) for like, almost nothing. Front disc brake, but instead of the horizontal pinching caliper, it's a simple arm squeezed into a contact point. I'd like to stick 2 different motor types on it; an electric to be green as much as possible, and a 4-stroke Honda GX35 or 25 for a back up gas (since if your batt. dies in the middle of your ride, it's leg power only, and I want this for a job commuter/errand runner). I've heard of the Zenoah having a "built for bikes" specific option, but I can't find this OR a 4 stroke Zenoah at all (which I'm really pressed to have a 4 stroke if at all doable).

I was told that friction kits is a great way to murder tires - especially for noobies (makes sense), and that a front wheel kit is best on trikes. I'm wondering if there is any actual way to do the dual motor type with only front wheel kits, or if anyone here has any other insight for doing this sort of build. I was inspired for the project off this trike I saw on craigslist. The gas seems mounted to the rear tire, and I'm wondering if this is only possible because the Meridian is a 26" so there's way more motor kits available for that wheel size (especially the belt driven Golden Bike kits).

I've seen that people tend to reply when you say what you want the final product to do:
  • I'd like the option to pedal/pedal assist if at all possible with both engines, but at least the electric (I do have a few health problems, including a bad knee, but I want at least SOME exercise benefit from doing flat roads)
  • I'd like it to go no faster than 20MPH on flat (No license, can't legally go faster than that)
  • I'd like it to handle hills alright (Hopping over to https://www.flattestroute.com/ I'm seeing elevation ranging from 150 to 450 ish, and slope ranging from .24° to 6.54° and a jump from -4° to 3.7° at one point in the areas I'd most likely be traveling)
  • I'd like the electric to handle at least a 15 mile range with hills (pedal assist included, just need that range if at all possible even with that extra exertion for the hills)
  • I want the electric kit to be lithium run
  • As we all do, I'd like this to run as low cost as possible (ex: I've seen conversion kits run less when they have no motor, and I've found motors for sale for less than bundled motor kits even if you buy the hardware separate)

I'd love this to be as plug and play/utter noob friendly as possible. I've got essentially no build skills, though I'm somewhat comfortable with non-soldering electronics/wiring (I've built a few PCs and minor home repairs, that's about it). I am comfortable with "here's your pieces, put it together" assembly work, even if there's a certain amount of "instructions unclear, got stuck in ceiling fan" common to them.

Dont know why my tablet decided to repost yours....
But... a 79cc gastrike kit is the way im going with my 20 inch trailmate desoto trike.
Never bought from them before, but that kit is pretty simple for the shipping dept. To box up without screwin up, seems like. Just ordered it friday.
All the posts ive seen about the 79cc with 10 tooth clutch and 44 sprocket say that accelleration is poor. But, they have all had 26" wheel on their trikes. 20" wheels should improve the gear ratio DRASTICALLY. Anyone feel free to jump in if they have any info in that dept. $189 with no coupon code. Tried 25GASTRIKE but no dice. I noticed they dropped the price from like 249 recently tho, so prolly negated the $25 off code.

Dont know why my tablet decided to repost yours....
But... a 79cc gastrike kit is the way im going with my 20 inch trailmate desoto trike.
Never bought from them before, but that kit is pretty simple for the shipping dept. To box up without screwin up, seems like. Just ordered it friday.
All the posts ive seen about the 79cc with 10 tooth clutch and 44 sprocket say that accelleration is poor. But, they have all had 26" wheel on their trikes. 20" wheels should improve the gear ratio DRASTICALLY. Anyone feel free to jump in if they have any info in that dept. $189 with no coupon code. Tried 25GASTRIKE but no dice. I noticed they dropped the price from like 249 recently tho, so prolly negated the $25 off code.

Back