Mountain Bike- Slowly uphill

Oban

Local time
11:50 PM
Is there any motor/drive arrangement which I could attatch to my cheap mountainbike to enable me to pedal up a steep (possibly damp) forest track with some pedal assist if necessary.
Problem is that if it is rough I don't want to be doing 15mph.
Trail motorcycles in the lower gears can happily chug along at walking pace, could a motorised bicycle do the same?
From reading the forums it seems that all the centrifugal clutches don't seem to pull much below 10mph.
Am I looking for the impossible?
(I was thinking of using a 35cc Honda that I should be able to acquire)

keep looking and studing right here
should be able to find many different types of MB engines to deliver for you

sounds like you are just looking for some real low gearing
should not be that hard to find

ride the motor bike

If you are only looking for a hill assist on that Honda engine, might want to try a small 8-10 tooth drive gear and a HUGE 60-70 tooth final for super low end torque. A HD clutch would be in order too.

HT engine with SBP shifter kit and mega range 34 tooth 1st gear will climb almost any hill.

Searching

Thanks for your replies, I've spent many happy hours surfing this site and am reasonably competent at using the search facility. In all that time I hadn't found the simple answer I required so that's why I posted the question.
Thank you for your ideas, I looked at the SBP solution and it looks good.
Is there any rack mounted kit which would do the job? Even with their low gears the Staton and the GEBE kits seem to have a lowest speed of 10mph or so with the clutch engaged.
Am I missing the obvious? (Sometimes this constant rain slows down our Scottish brains)

the sbp is so nice!!! but it depends on the budget, that kit is like 200.00 so i would think changing the sproket is a simpler idea....

EDITed, because i dont know what sproket would help you.

Last edited:
Oban
your thread here kind of reminds me of when I was a little guy with a Honda 50
grandpa put the very large rear sproket on that one -- making it super low geared
I could climb up almost anything

just thinking here
if you contact the dealers here on this site
ask them -- what's the very lowest gearing from them available
approx how many mph with that = to ?

then after getting and understanding the information supplied to you
you could post -- letting us know which vendor or vendors were the most helpful

take some of the (((wonder))) out of it anyway

ride the motor bike

Last edited:
The Staton nuvinci will climb any hill in low gear at half throttle. The drawbacks are high cost and a lot of added weight.

Back