Mountain Bike viability [ frame size mounting ]

My first build was a mountain bike, my second build, a cruiser bike. They are both Huffys
The cruiser bike makes the most sense, as a motorbike. The mountain bike feels skittish, the cruiser feels ' planted ' [ like a motorcycle ] I doubt * any * powerd
bicycle could keep up with a dirt bike, or mini bike . Motor Bikes are for roads,
Mountain bikes are for trails. The steep angles of a mt frame mean a high mounted
engine, the lower the engine, the better the handling.

I will stick to building multispeed bikes...lots easier to pedal home when the motor breaks.
With a ht/china girl its not if something will break its when
that and mountian bike have better brakes than most cruisers

I built one of each, both Huffys. The first one, a mountain bike is OK [ good engine ]
The second build a beach cruiser, handles more like a small motorcycle, the longer
wheelbase, and slower steering take the twitchiness away, and make for a great ride,
the second engine [ both Grubee GT-5 80cc ] vibrates and clatters, rendering the bike useless, until engine gets changed, no high speed tests. Engine installation is a breeze
on the cruiser frame, and a challenge on the sharply V 'ed mountain bike frame. Wheel / Tire clearance isn't a problem on either frame. I doubt the engine would do much off road, as you need some straightaway to get revs up. If you've got the bucks for experimenting, various multispeed setups are available, allowing high revs, and low gearing, as you need torque in the dirt.

Back