Mountain Bike viability [ frame size mounting ]

D

Demosthenese

hello all. i'm planning on putting an engine in a 2007 Wolverine mountain bike.

http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/Mountain/AdventureX/model.php?id=106&view=zoom&deets=1

i already know that im going to have to fabricate mounts for the engine and tank due to the tubes being oversised, and i may have to swap the back disk brake out and also perhaps a wider crankset.

the point, however, is that there seem to be few mountain bike based builds posted, and no general consensus on their viability.

So, anyone who has built an engine into a mountain bike, what did you think? Are you still able to go offroad over grass short distances? What kind of strength is required for the engine to hold? Is going up and down curbs a problem? Basically, is the "mountainess" of you mountain bike limited with the engine, as in confined to simple cruising?

I'll eventually be posting my own results i suppose, just trying to get info before i start ripping apart by bike :)

simply put...is the mountainbike you now own capable of doing those mountainbike-y things?

ok, good.

now, the real question...can it do it at speed with the added weight? i think only the highest of quality bicycle can do that. i can run around on the trails here, and for the most part, the bicycle can take it. the 3/8" bolt i call a rear axle cannot. it bent slightly and began a chain-reaction of problems i'd rather not deal with again.

my opinion: true motored-mountainbiking is prolly best done with a full suspension rack-mount system.

thanks augi!

i guess i should clarify. when i say "mountianbikeness" i mean the mountainbike's advantages on the road over a bike built along more classic street-bike/cruiser lines, like the ability to take bigger bumps/curbs.

on my bike i hop curbs, go over grass and gravel at speed, basically it can handle taking the hits. I dont do downhill or jumps,i just road ride hard.

im concerned that i'll have to go to soft on it once theres an engine in it, because though the bike is strong enough, im afraid mounts/engine wont, or that vibration over grass may be more of an issue then i anticipate (not a lot of grass riding, just getting from trail to trail in the millions of ottawa parks).

i think the rack mount would be a case of slight overkill; this bike is single shocked and for the kind of biking i do, i dont need dual suspension, i dont ride that hard or that offroad. on the other hand, it would certainly be way safer and probably a lot less maintenance. i shall ponder.

ty!

damn! i missed that bike, ty! honestly, although i wouldnt trade my norco, thats a gooooood price, and i was really thinking about getting a cruiser for my first enigne project instead of ripping up the frame of my baby :)

thanks alot for the heads up!

If you listen to these Happy Time experts with THAT bike, you will have a winner, thats for sure !!!!

There's been quite a few flawless, successful builds by newcomers, I hope you have one too!!!!! :LOL: 8)

should have mentioned: not one off-road problem was ever engine-related (dax 70)

I would love to have a fully suspended motoredbike and I know it can be done but there are trade offs and it seems the easy way to go would be a bike with front suspension and a shock seatpost with a comfort seat.

just for kicks said:
I would love to have a fully suspended motoredbike and I know it can be done but there are trade offs and it seems the easy way to go would be a bike with front suspension and a shock seatpost with a comfort seat.
that's how I ride haha :LOL: 8)
122_IMG_1336_1.jpg

I do not think...

I do not think there is enough room for a motor to fit that bike. That is my guess. It does not look like enough room to me.

Back