Mountain Weedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all this is my first build and first post. So here we go. It all started out when I found this old engine from a 1974 weed wacker. The engine is a Tecumseh 85cc 3 hp. It also has a scary looking weed zombie on it which is pretty cool.
ztuw.jpg
Sorry the image is upside down.

So I got the bike all built up with a back rack, chain tensioner and hand made clam shell adapter.
alxu.jpg

3ep6.jpg

guxr.jpg

I have a 42 tooth gear on the bottom and an 11 tooth gear on the engine. I was so happy and ready to go. But it was not meant to be. I fired it up and i wont move, the engine runs good with the chain disconnected but as soon as a load is put on it it just does not move. If i lift the tire up it will spin it really fast and i lost a chain that way and destroyed it.

In the early stages of this build I was an idiot and started the engine with the bell housing off the clutch pads. You can imagine what happed clutch pads and springs went flying. I found the pads but the springs were shot. I went to ACE hardware and purchased some music wire, which is spring steel. I bent my own springs and put everything back together. The output shaft does move a little more at idle that it did before the mishap but the bike will still not move.

I am at a loss. Is it a clutch problem or is the engine really that week? Should I ditch the clutch and just direct drive it, i would have to kill the engine at stop lights then. Or should I get a different engine. I am confused, please help anyone.

Looks cool. Id say its your clutch,how does it spin with no chain on it? Might try lifting rear wheel off ground and letting it rip, and see how it moves the wheel with no weight on it,then slowly put it down and see what it does. Pretty sure the clutch is not engaging properly. 3hp would really make it go. Good luck let us know what you find. I googled the motor looking for parts and found a complete engine on ebay,but no clutch parts yet.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wee...d=100011&prg=8141&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=251304218994&

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I tested it with the back of the bike in the air. Even at idle it spun the tire a little to fast. Then when you lower it down it just bogs and the engine dies. I made new springs for the clutch out of thicker spring steele wire and it still went to fast at idle. I think the problem is is that this engine is governed at 4000 rpm and the cluth engages at a way to low of a rpm. So it it never has any time to build any hp before it engages the clutch. This was a weed wacker so it probably worked fine for just that purpose. I also ran the engine without the chain connected and it runs fine. I am at a loss. I don't know what I should do. Help

do you have a reduction gearbox on it? because if you don't then you have a reduction of 3.8:1 which simply wont work! it needs to be 18.75:1 for the ideal ratio but as close as you can get will do.

I am a noob please explain. The engine is directly connected to a centrifugal clutch so I guess No it is not gear reducted. How can I achieve this gear ratio?

If I can use a pocket bike gearbox. What ratio should I be looking for? I found a 1:5 on ebay, one turn sprocket to five turn engine? With the same gears I have what would my ratio be.

Last edited:
the 5:1 gearbox reverses the drive rotation so you would have to turn your engine around. think you can get 4:1 boxes that don't reverse rotation but not sure if they really are 4:1 cuz i dont have one . you can also get 3:1 boxes so you will have to ask whoever you buy from to check what it is. if its 5:1 you need a 42 would be good. if its 4:1 50 would be good. you can download the ratio calc somewhere on one of these forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back