Mounting Bolts Vibrate out/off

S

Seth

Hi, when I go at fast speeds the mounting bolts on my kit vibrate out eventually, causing the engine to turn to the left and causing a complete and dangerous stoppage at pretty fast speeds. Any suggestions on how to keep those bolts/screws from loosening out?

Thanks

Never ever !!!

Never ever use loc tight. Make sure your studs are in tight. Then use nylocks or double nut them. Also.. Post a pic of what your mount looks like prior to it vibrating out. A close up. I would like to see what it looks like before it vibrates lose. A picture should tell me what I need to know to help you prevent it from happening again. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

i find loctite to be very useful only blue though ny locks are good too but whats wrong with loctite

Well.. First of all....

For starters, It is not needed. not on these motors. Second.. You need to know what you are doing in order to use it. There are different types of lock tight. Lock tight or Loctight will not allow you to tighten nuts or bolts as the motor and bike breaks in. Loc tight will not allow the removal of nuts and bolts as well. both are bad news. Lastly.. It is not needed. If you do need it, then you are doing something wrong. Get your engine studs tight !! Then double nut them. That is better than loc tight. Try double nutting. Then, when you need to, you can sung them down as things settle, or remove them when needed. I have built over 300 of these and never ever had to use loc tight. I have only had loc tight used once, that was a warranty motor returned to me, and the Customer used loc tight red on the 3 hole adapter. I freaked when I saw that. I tried to remove the bolts from the engine block. Both of them sheared off inside the engine block. Needless to say, I was mad !! I never did ez them out. We are talking hours to clean up that mess. Loc tight has its place. But it is not on these little motors. The nuts and bolts are just too small to use something as strong as loc tight. That stuff is just too strong. I think the Blue is not as strong as the red. There are different degrees of loc tight. But.. You need to be an expert to use the stuff. And.. I am no expert on using loc tight. Just know this.. When you use it, expect it to be the last time you do anything with that nut or that bolt for this engine. Also.. Using loc tight will void engine warranty. Enjoy the ride..

Note: The bonds of LocTite are broken by heating the nut or stud to 500F. I have used it on wheel bearing races that are found to be turning in the hub. That is all. :D

I totally agree with Dax on this one. The blue locktite is for maybe releasing that spot where you used it again and of course with a lot of tourch. The red locktite you use only on disposable parts or parts that are made of a very high carbon content and if you want to release it you better be willing to get the metal hotter than it states on their instructions.
I have worked in tool and Die for 20 some years as well as multitasking with degrees in a lot of areas. Not bragging! just verifying my experiance for your bennefit!
Do NOT use locktight for anything that you will need to remove in the future unless it's on a high carbon 500 ton press bolt!
Just the facts mam!
doc

Meh! I have been a highly skilled mechanic, so-so welder and machinist for 38 years. I have used red, blue, green and purple Loctite. Stuff works. But for nuts that need adjusting or retightening, double nutting is better than nyloc nuts if there is room. Half nuts are used in double nutting too.

For those that need to know, go to LocTite's site and study.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a much easier method for a two stroke vibrating it's nuts out. Take a simple $2.00 tube of silicone and use carb cleaner on all the parts you will use it on, then spread a little dab on each bolt or nut. Works like a nylock only the heat won't affect it.
You will be able to remove it a lot easier than any loctite product. Make sure you let it set up over night.
Doc

Back