Mounting sprocket on a 32 spoke wheel @!#&*

wolframore

Local time
6:36 AM
Got the engine mounted nicely. It will need an offset intake due to the frame size. Started working on the rear sprocket. Bored out about a mm so it slips on the axle nicely, as I get to the final couple bolts I realize that they don’t line up. I counted spokes and it’s 32 spoke wheel. First one I’ve encountered, apparently these are used on higher end bikes. Most bikes are 36 spoke. Since 32 is 16 per side, it has 8 pairs of crossed spokes and will not accept a 9 hole sprocket. Anyone else run into this?

I’ve looked into hub adapter but this hub is 7/8” or 22.3mm. Most hub adapters go down to 1” or 25.4mm.

Another option is to change the rear wheel, this one has a Shimano free wheel 7 speed cassette. Either way a simple build just hit a bump.

Got the engine mounted nicely. It will need an offset intake due to the frame size. Started working on the rear sprocket. Bored out about a mm so it slips on the axle nicely, as I get to the final couple bolts I realize that they don’t line up. I counted spokes and it’s 32 spoke wheel. First one I’ve encountered, apparently these are used on higher end bikes. Most bikes are 36 spoke. Since 32 is 16 per side, it has 8 pairs of crossed spokes and will not accept a 9 hole sprocket. Anyone else run into this?

I’ve looked into hub adapter but this hub is 7/8” or 22.3mm. Most hub adapters go down to 1” or 25.4mm.

Another option is to change the rear wheel, this one has a Shimano free wheel 7 speed cassette. Either way a simple build just hit a bump.
You could still use the 32 spoke wheel with hub adaptor but those are also designed for the 36 spoke spacing and hub's so you'd need to shim and pin it to work.Finding a 36 spoke wheel is not hard (very common) and a hub adaptor is still a wise choice as is it being pinned to the hub,you will get alot more use from the wheel over the stock 9 bolt rag joint.

My retired bicycle guru has a 36 spoke wheel. I should have it up and running tomorrow. I can turn a shim for the 7/8” hub but this is easier. It’s supposed to be a quick bolt together for a kid down the street. I’m actually going to lower the compression on it for the first couple weeks until I know he’s not going to wreck. He’s only 15.

I’m actually going to lower the compression on it for the first couple weeks until I know he’s not going to wreck. He’s only 15.

15 is plenty old enough to handle a M/B. Give him full power. Don't treat him like a little boy.
Unless there is something we don't know? Is he a special needs kid?

He’s a sheltered boy and maybe a little special. Will give him full power once he’s used to the clutch.

Bike got done and delivered. He’s very happy. His dad wants one also.

Back