Moving the Pedal Chain

Why not just use big washers?
It was easiest to just double nut the bolts to the original freewheel, locking the bolts down. And it prevented having to cut 10 precisely sized 6mm spacers.

I'll show a pic after it passes the tests. Too cold in the garage forme right now.

I hope the sideload to the bearing in the rear freewheel are OK, moving the chain outward significantly increases the pry force a chain puts on it. If you refrain from using it too much it should last a long time, but if you plan on jackshafting then I'd be dubious of relying on it as your primary drive.

Being a 25T cog, I don't think it will be under extreme pressure. Besides, I fully intend to let the engine work as much as possible once I get this thing rolling. And, no engine pressure on that side. My jackshaft is to simply kick the motor chain an inch and maybe a little more to clear the big moto tire. The 1/2" shaft is 7" long (that's what she said) and will be fitted into a 4" long pipe attached to the downturns. I will place my two high quality bearings as far outside as possible in the pipe for stability, figuring the opposing forces of the two chains will cancel each other out, more or less.

No problem and that looks almost frightening even to me. Put blue locktight on the threads and then try to use a torque wrench to evenly tighten all the bolts, reduces chances of it getting loose.

Bad news! The plan to bolt on a bigger cog to my freewheel failed! There's too much pressure when climbing. Back to the drawing board.

I think a better plan is to make a chain kicker with a hard plastic surface to move the chain slightly right. Still working on my design.

Bad news! The plan to bolt on a bigger cog to my freewheel failed! There's too much pressure when climbing. Back to the drawing board.

I think a better plan is to make a chain kicker with a hard plastic surface to move the chain slightly right. Still working on my design.
Can you dish the wheel any more than it is now?

Oh wait I have another idea... So that threaded portion on the freewheel should be the same as any other, really a standard though there is a few exceptions. Now yours is a single speed, only a couple cm thick at most. If you get a standard 7 speed freewheel the outer cogs might be spaced far enough out to clear the wheel, you could probably even leave the cogs on there too or just pull all but one that fits on the outer part and put spacers in it and tighten it down proper like.

I know you stated low budget but this would make your build a little easier stanton inc has every thing you may need!these two items are $50.00 but guaranteed to save alot of time and head ache!

Attachments

• 5 hole free wheel.jpg
    5 hole free wheel.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 101
  • 410 chain ring.jpg
    410 chain ring.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 91
I know you stated low budget but this would make your build a little easier stanton inc has every thing you may need!these two items are $50.00 but guaranteed to save alot of time and head ache!
I don't think this project is receiving a jackshaft. However that freewheel is yet another option for sure, on the rear wheel and a thick spacer(s) he could get the sprocket out further reliably.

Back