MTB Build

CENTURION

Local time
10:44 AM
Started this one tonight, 20" frame and everything drops in pretty good. Wanted a bike for some light duty trail capability, it was somewhat hard to find a MTB that engines would fit into. This has a high ten steel frame, steel hubs, front suspension and pretty good bike components. Using the tried and true Zeda 80 Firestorm engine, and I will experiment with larger sprockets, probably a 44 or 48. I like being able to retain all of the gears, it will make for easy starting and pedaling when needed. :)

Attachments

• Trail Bike.jpg
    Trail Bike.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 107
Almost perfect bike, if it had disc brakes it would be. I've got a 700c that I've been thinking about with all the right parts, but it's an alloy bike.

Did the shakedown run on it this afternoon, it's beautiful here, 70 deg. sunshine fall day. Just cruising on the 20:1 break-in mix for a while. The Zeda started right up, this is a light nimble bike, did some single path riding and it does fine. I'll probably add an up-swept pipe for next year. All in for just under $500, new bike/new engine:)

Attachments

• SHAKEDOWN.jpg
    SHAKEDOWN.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 100
It's a 20" Nishiki Pueblo. I purchased it from a local DICK's sporting goods, I think it was $299, and I had some points so I got it a little lower. It's not Specialized or Trek quality, but it's a lot better than typical on-line or department store bikes. The store I go to has a bike tech and a assembly /repair area and they are pretty good. Grease was in everything, the brakes were adjusted well, wheels were true etc., it's a nice bicycle for the money. Now the Zeda motor, I'm getting concerned with, put a few heat cycles through it keeping under 15-20 mph, and I can hear a knocking under load. I have the recommended 20:1 mix in it, perhaps it will smooth out as it breaks-in. My other Zeda has ran flawlessly, I was hoping for the same with this one.

Attachments

• TRAILRIDE.jpg
    TRAILRIDE.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 85
It's a 20" Nishiki Pueblo. I purchased it from a local DICK's sporting goods, I think it was $299, and I had some points so I got it a little lower. It's not Specialized or Trek quality, but it's a lot better than typical on-line or department store bikes. The store I go to has a bike tech and a assembly /repair area and they are pretty good. Grease was in everything, the brakes were adjusted well, wheels were true etc., it's a nice bicycle for the money. Now the Zeda motor, I'm getting concerned with, put a few heat cycles through it keeping under 15-20 mph, and I can hear a knocking under load. I have the recommended 20:1 mix in it, perhaps it will smooth out as it breaks-in. My other Zeda has ran flawlessly, I was hoping for the same with this one.
That knocking could be a bad chain, just one link is too short or long making a noise when it goes over the engine sprocket.

If you have a bicycle stand, that's the best way to check it out. With the plug out and the left side clutch cover off, turn the rear wheel and watch the chain as it goes over the sprocket, if the chain lifts up off the sprocket, that's the knock.

I've done a few Zedas and haven't run into a bad one as far as rods/pistons go, but have had a couple bad chains.

You might look a little funny on a 20" bike, but it would make a great BMX. I'm starting to thingkthe Zeda is a drive train issue as well. it revs fine standing still. I pulled the clutch arm cover off and everything seems OK and rotating fine? Perhaps I'll try another chain. Thanks

You might look a little funny on a 20" bike, but it would make a great BMX. I'm starting to thingkthe Zeda is a drive train issue as well. it revs fine standing still. I pulled the clutch arm cover off and everything seems OK and rotating fine? Perhaps I'll try another chain. Thanks
I think that means frame size, not wheel size. My Auto-Mini had 20" wheels and 50cc engine, fun little bike.

Back