Muffler Fell Off... What Can I Use as A Makeshift?

G

Guest-161109

My muffler fell off the other day while riding. I was going a bout 30 when EVERYTHING got LOUD! I pulled in the clutch and killed the engine... lo and behold the muffler broke off at the WELD!!!! I turned around to find the renegade piece... and it was NO WHERE to be found! So, I rode the 2 miles home pretty much open header...

My first question is: What can i use to make a makeshift muffler until I can get some money?
My muffler fell off but I've ran mine 150+ miles with no muffler, bolt broke off in motor, tried to drill it out, put it back on n same thing happened

Last edited by a moderator:
My muffler fell off but I've ran mine 150+ miles with no muffler, bolt broke off in motor, tried to drill it out, put it back on n same thing happened

Not sure the guy is gonna reply. The thread was from 2010 and he was last seen 2011.

What needs to be done to a muffler like your's to keep it from wiggling and breaking the mounting bolts and falling off is
ya need a bracket from the bike frame to the exhaust pipe to hold it.
Hopefully you can fix the threads to mount your muffler back on.
Buy or make a bracket to secure the exhaust pipe to the frame. Your muffler will never fall off again.

I think the guest dude was quoting an old post in his new thread.
To the op: 2 strokes vibrate alot and an unbraced stock muffler will break off from vibration. As Don pointed out, brace it. I wouldn't advise wrapping bailing wire through the cooling fins though lmao. Brace the stock exhaust to the downtube, most kits have the exhaust brace, if not, you can make one with many wraps of bailing wire to the downtube :p.

Back