Muffler for Expansion Chamber Pipe

KTOKTO

Local time
6:46 AM
I ordered this MZ miami pipe a few days back,

_57-2-jpg.72944

I am looking around for a muffler for it and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I am considering chopping the muffler off the stock pipe or grabbing a small engine muffler from somewhere. I am also considering some type of universal stainless scooter muffler off ebay like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...ash=item48977ffc77:g:IY8AAOSwWxNYyRrh&vxp=mtr

Just wondering if anyone else out there has this pipe and wondering what you did for a muffler.

Thanks.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have some clamp on supertrap style cones(think each have ten waffer baffles, just remove or add to get the sound/ resistance you want. What is the outside diameter of the end pipe? Do you weld? I got them for my generator and two other briggs powered tools.

I have some clamp on supertrap style cones(think each have ten waffer baffles, just remove or add to get the sound/ resistance you want. What is the outside diameter of the end pipe? Do you weld? I got them for my generator and two other briggs powered tools.

Funny you mention supertrapp. I was initially thinking of going that route but I did not find any info.

Yes, I weld so anything is possible. The pipe isn't here yet so I don't have the measurements yet.

Can you provide a link to your supertrapp style setup?

I ordered this MZ miami pipe a few days back,

_57-2-jpg.72944

I am looking around for a muffler for it and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I am considering chopping the muffler off the stock pipe or grabbing a small engine muffler from somewhere. I am also considering some type of universal stainless scooter muffler off ebay like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...ash=item48977ffc77:g:IY8AAOSwWxNYyRrh&vxp=mtr

Just wondering if anyone else out there has this pipe and wondering what you did for a muffler.

Thanks.
I take a stock muffler, take the screwed on cap off and cut the stud flush. The circumference of the stock muffler is about 1/2" longer than that of the pipe. 6- 1/16" wide cuts about 3/8" deep, and slightly flared open at the beginning of the cut allows you to shape it to the pipe. Some of the end of the pipe needs to be removed, and this piece can be used for the hammer shaping process. Then cut the flanged end, and weld her up.View media item 60358

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I take a stock muffler, take the screwed on cap off and cut the stud flush. The ID of the stock muffler is about 1/2" larger than the OD of the pipe. 8 1/16" wide cuts about 3/8" deep allows you to shape it to the pipe. Some of the end of the pipe needs to be removed, and this piece can be used for the hammer shaping process. Then cut the flanged end, and weld her up.View media item 60358

That should work great Gary. As for mating the stock muffler to the pipe I was thinking of cutting down the tip on the mz pipe and use a harbor freight pipe expander so it mates right up to the stock muffler.

How loud is your setup compared to stock?

Thanks for the info.

That should work great Gary. As for mating the stock muffler to the pipe I was thinking of cutting down the tip on the mz pipe and use a harbor freight pipe expander so it mates right up to the stock muffler.

How loud is your setup compared to stock?

Thanks for the info.
Just a guess would be half way between the stock pipe and the un-muffled mz pipe for noise level. It is still loud but obnoxiously loud. Hadn't thought about using a pipe expander. I never used one so I'm not sure how far you can open one up. You can bet if it works I'll be buying one the next day.

Just a guess would be half way between the stock pipe and the un-muffled mz pipe for noise level. It is still loud but obnoxiously loud. Hadn't thought about using a pipe expander. I never used one so I'm not sure how far you can open one up. You can bet if it works I'll be buying one the next day.

I was also thinking of going to a muffler shop and have them make a little transition adapter using their big pnumatic stuff. Should be a piece of cake if they have exhaust tuning and dies that small. I'll measure everything up on it comes in and see how a cheap manual expander works.

I was also thinking of going to a muffler shop and have them make a little transition adapter using their big pnumatic stuff. Should be a piece of cake if they have exhaust tuning and dies that small. I'll measure everything up on it comes in and see how a cheap manual expander works.
Cool. My thinking on it was that I wanted as much muffler as I could get on it without making it ridiculously long, so by cutting some of the mz pipe off and slipping the muffler over the remaining I got it where I could live with it. I made some even shorter by shortening the muffler without significant increase in noise. This one is about 3" shorter than the one on my bike, and I like the look better.View media item 60733

Auto parts stores and tractor supply stores also carry these muffler couplers for only a couple bucks each. The trick would be finding the right ID or OD

9173035_L.jpg

I will see what I've got to work with once the pipe comes in.

I just posted some pics of a silencer that I got off of eBay from Fast to moto I think it is. It's on my expansion pipe thread. It runs about 50 bucks and I have one bike with the thrustmaster pipe like you and one with an expansion pipe which I posted photos of. I have it on both but I did have to cut the thrustmaster pipe down a little bit because the silencer is about 12 inches long. I gained some power on the bottom end and it stayed about the same on the top and it cut the sound effectively in half. I'll post a link to the silencer that I purchased for you.

Back