Engine Trouble Multiple engine problems.

Matt Barrack

Local time
10:42 PM
I have come across a few problems. The bike currently runs fine but there are a few things that worry me.

1. The engine is spewing oil. It is coming out of at least 2 places. The first one I noticed is out of the exhaust gasket. It drips a little. The second and probably more serious part is it is coming out of the head gasket. Not a lot but when I look at it there are bubbles of oil coming out.

2. There is a hole in the engine. So, when I first noticed oil coming out of the exhaust (months ago) I also noticed some smoke coming out near the exhaust gasket. I thought the smoke was coming out from there. But upon further inspection, I noticed a small hole on the lower part of the cylinder. (1 or 2 fins below the exhaust). Is this a serious problem? And how do I fix it?

A hole in the actual cylinder body? Are you certain? It might be a bubble in the casting.. Probably doesn't extend into the cylinder.

The exhaust leak should be fixed, and the head gasket needs replacing and the head and cylinder should be sanded flat but I would start with the head only to avoid unseating the piston rings.

seen small deformities in casting along the channels that the head studs go thru - they can leak or smoke there, but no damage is caused by them

if you like, you can clean the area and VERY CAREFULLY put some epoxy or jbweld just to seal hole, but DO NOT get any inside where it may interfere with the stud going thru there

you can stuff a bit of paper towel in first, then cover hole as the paper will not hurt the stud

A hole in the actual cylinder body? Are you certain? It might be a bubble in the casting.. Probably doesn't extend into the cylinder.

The exhaust leak should be fixed, and the head gasket needs replacing and the head and cylinder should be sanded flat but I would start with the head only to avoid unseating the piston rings.
I think it is since there is smoke shooting out of it as if it was the exhaust.

Take off head and replace head gasket. When you start the engine use your hand close around the head and see if you feel air shooting out from around the head gasket. It should be sealed and leaks cause loss of compression and power.
Replace exhaust gasket and make sure it doesn't leak oil
If you have a hole in the cylinder or any part of the crank case you will lose compression and you would see oil shooting out of the hole. If it is big enough the engine won't run. If there is a hole in your cylinder you will need to replace the cylinder.

Back