Murray Monterey

I built my first motor bike about ten years ago: 1960's Galaxy Flyer. I sold it a few years ago when we moved. I miss riding it so I picked up a dirt cheap rusty Murray Monterey at a flea market. It took a torch and lots of PB Blaster to take it apart. There was so much rust I suspect it was found at the bottom of a lake while magnet fishing. :)

IMG_3507crop.jpg

Here's the de-rusted Murray put together for the first time and working out the bugs. It ran extremely rich out of the box. This new motor has much less vibration than the Bike Berry motor from ten years ago.

IMG_3456 crop.jpg

This is a before photo all torn down for rust removal. Soaking parts in vinegar is a good cheap rust remover.

Murry Monterey Bicycle.jpg

Torn down again for painting.

IMG_3490.JPG

The front motor clamp-on mount didn't hold well so I modified it and welded it on. A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't. :LOL:

IMG_3489.JPG

I'm not going for a show room paint job. I'll be happy if the frame is all one color.

Jon

I built my first motor bike about ten years ago: 1960's Galaxy Flyer. I sold it a few years ago when we moved. I miss riding it so I picked up a dirt cheap rusty Murray Monterey at a flea market. It took a torch and lot's of PB Blaster to take it apart. There was so much rust I almost suspect it was found at the bottom of a lake while magnet fishing. :) Here's the Murray put together and working out the bugs. It ran extremely rich out of the box. This new motor has much less vibration than the motor from ten years ago.

View attachment 163180

This is a before photo all torn down for rust removal. Soaking parts in vinegar is a good cheap rust remover.

View attachment 163179

Right now it is torn down again for painting.

View attachment 163181

The front motor clamp-on mount didn't hold well so I modified it and welded it on. A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't. :LOL:

View attachment 163182

I'm not going for a show room paint job. I'll be happy if the frame is all one color.

Jon
Nice cruiser

I saw a photo of another Murray motor bike where the frame came apart at the fork head. Inspection of the joints on my frame show that it is brazed not welded together. I used my little stick welder to add some reinforcement. It's not pretty but it's stronger.

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

Can anyone confirm if the '92' is the year of manufacture?

I saw a photo of another Murray motor bike where the frame came apart at the fork head. Inspection of the joints on my frame show that it is brazed not welded together. I used my little stick welder to add some reinforcement. It's not pretty but it's stronger.

View attachment 163283

View attachment 163284

View attachment 163285

Can anyone confirm if the '92' is the year of manufacture?

Yep looks like a 1992 Good Idea beefing up the welds. Since your going to be using this Murray for a M/B.
I suggest to weld a gusset on the neck connecting the top and bottom frame tubes

By the time your bike was made, Murray was using thin walled tubing to keep prices down.
While the weld wont break connecting the tubing to the neck. The tubing itself will crack close to where it's welded to the neck
Welding a gusset to the neck and tubing will greatly reinforce this area

The other area of the frame to be concerned with is where the two frame side rails (small tubing) is welded to the center tube
In this area weld as much of the side rails to the top tube as you can. This will greatly reinforce the area

Here's some ideas

Attachments

• DSCF6225.JPG
    DSCF6225.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF6226.JPG
    DSCF6226.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF6227.JPG
    DSCF6227.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF6228.JPG
    DSCF6228.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF6229.JPG
    DSCF6229.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 120
I applied three coats of rattle can Rust-Oleum flat black. It came out more satin than flat and that's okay.

IMG_3504crop.jpg

Finished product (are you ever finished?)

IMG_3506crop.jpg

The chain guard is Rust-Oleum hammered metal paint. I'm debating whether to put the fenders on. I don't intend to ride on wet roads. They may improve the looks but fenders are one more thing to rattle loose.

You did a good job. The bike looks good.

I've only had two bikes with fenders. I removed them first thing. On this forum and across the web, I've heard many horror stories about fenders causing catastrophic accidents.

It needs fenders. It looked naked without them. The chrome was very bad so they're painted to match the chain guard. I used bigger screws and fender washers. They are not coming loose.

IMG_3507crop.jpg

It's your basic low budget motor bike. If you keep it simple there's less to go wrong. I was pleased to find everything on this old Murray is made in the USA. The frame is Murray, seat is made by Persons, the fenders are Wald, only the coaster brake is Shimano and imported.

It needs fenders. It looked naked without them. The chrome was very bad so they're painted to match the chain guard. I used bigger screws and fender washers. They are not coming loose.
It's the China front fender L bracket that breaks or the rivets pop off and causes accidents.
It's recommended to replace the L bracket & rivets with a stronger L bracket and screws with lock nuts

Back