Murray Monterey

I built my first motor bike about ten years ago: 1960's Galaxy Flyer. I sold it a few years ago when we moved. I miss riding it so I picked up a dirt cheap rusty Murray Monterey at a flea market. It took a torch and lots of PB Blaster to take it apart. There was so much rust I suspect it was found at the bottom of a lake while magnet fishing. :)

IMG_3507crop.jpg

Here's the de-rusted Murray put together for the first time and working out the bugs. It ran extremely rich out of the box. This new motor has much less vibration than the Bike Berry motor from ten years ago.

IMG_3456 crop.jpg

This is a before photo all torn down for rust removal. Soaking parts in vinegar is a good cheap rust remover.

Murry Monterey Bicycle.jpg

Torn down again for painting.

IMG_3490.JPG

The front motor clamp-on mount didn't hold well so I modified it and welded it on. A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't. :LOL:

IMG_3489.JPG

I'm not going for a show room paint job. I'll be happy if the frame is all one color.

Jon

I built my first motor bike about ten years ago: 1960's Galaxy Flyer. I sold it a few years ago when we moved. I miss riding it so I picked up a dirt cheap rusty Murray Monterey at a flea market. It took a torch and lot's of PB Blaster to take it apart. There was so much rust I almost suspect it was found at the bottom of a lake while magnet fishing. :)

View attachment 163382

Here's the Murray put together for the first time and working out the bugs. It ran extremely rich out of the box. This new motor has much less vibration than the motor from ten years ago.

View attachment 163180

This is a before photo all torn down for rust removal. Soaking parts in vinegar is a good cheap rust remover.

View attachment 163179

Right now it is torn down again for painting.

View attachment 163181

The front motor clamp-on mount didn't hold well so I modified it and welded it on. A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't. :LOL:

View attachment 163182

I'm not going for a show room paint job. I'll be happy if the frame is all one color.

Jon
Is that a crack forming where the bottom tube goes into the BB housing?

It's the China front fender L bracket that breaks or the rivets pop off and causes accidents.

Honestly, I didn't understand what you meant when you said "L bracket". So I searched the forum and now I know. I never had a Chinese made bicycle so I never saw an 'L' bracket fender mount.

This front fender is attached to the fork with a 1/4-20 bolt to a blind nut up inside the fork. The factory blind nut was a flimsy disk of spring steel pressed up inside. It was rusted and useless. I welded a 1/4-20 nut in the hole to replace the factory job. Loctite on the bolt.

If one rivet is good then three are better.

IMG_3510resize.jpg

Now I feel safe with fenders.

I never saw an 'L' bracket fender mount.
The L bracket attaches the front fender to the forks
DSCF6234.JPG
This is what causes accidents
If the L bracket breaks, the front fender and U brace wraps around the wheel axle wedging the U brace and fender into the wheel.
This causes a sudden unexpected stop, sending the rider flying over the handle bars to eat pavement and possibly breaking their neck

Back