Tubes My 1st flat-help

darwin

Local time
7:08 AM
Well I had my 1st flat today rrrrg. Anyway instead of patching the thin tube thats on there Im going to get a thicker tube to put on it in the morning. While I have the wheel off I thought I would check the bearings and maybe grease them. My problem is I dont have a wrench thin enough to get to the inside nut and Im not sure what size it is either. Another question is are the bearings in a cage or will they come flying out once I get this axle apart? Any suggestions on size for that inner nut? Ive looked at tools online but I dont see any kits with multiple tools that are thin like I need them. Keep in mind this is my 1st messin with a bike tire in 30 years. 20k in tools and I dont have a wrench..........................................

hi darwin; those are cone wrenches. not very expensive but i think there are two sizes. if you are going to grease the bearings, i suggest doing it over a sheet or something and stack the parts in order. its daunting but not hard. mitch

Well I went to wallyworld and picked up an inner tube that says 26x1 3/8 and my tire size is 26x 1.95. The tube worked but I hope it doesnt cause me a problemo while riding, it has a sealant in it too. That was the only 26 in tube size they had. I looked for a 15mm cone wrench there but they didnt have any so I guess the bearings will have to wait awhile. I used a dial caliper to measure the cone nut size and found one at niagara but the wrench is only 7 bucks and I think shipping is the same. Im just going to wait to find one locally some where.

i made a cone wrench from a plain 15 mm open end wrench, i ground it down by putting it in my vise, & used my angle grinder, (or you could use a bench grinder) to get it thin enough to use, i keep in in my tool kit now.

Generally from factory the wheel bearings are loose, in aus caged wheel bearings are a couple of bucks each, so I guess the same where you are.
Save your self the frustration of repacking loose ones (presuming they still are) it's a fiddle to do and no matter how careful you are one always manages to roll away under the bench and hide,lol.
Caged bearing also make repacking later quick and simple, and use good grease, I use Teflon fortified marine grease in my wheel, headstock and BB bearings, marine grease is water proof and Teflon fortified gives minimum resistance, the bike rolls for ages.

For the ADJUSTMENT of the bearing, it's much easier if you have two cone wrenches ("spanners" for our UK fans) of the proper size.
The procedure is as follows: After cleaning and repacking the bearings, (Remove, clean and reinstall the balls and axle, using fresh grease.) tighten one bearing cone and it's lock nut, (lock them together, but not too tightly) on one side of the axle, then (with a wrench on THAT lock nut), tighten the other bearing cone and lock nut down (toward the first,"locked" set) until you can feel the tension in the bearing (when you spin the axle). Lock the second cone and lock nut together, (again not too tightly). The bearing should be slightly too tight, such that (when you spin the axle) the bearing feels rough. Then, using two cone wrenches, (one on each bearing cone) back the two cones away from each other, a little at a time, (stopping frequently to spin the axle) until the axle spins freely, but does not rattle when you wiggle it side to side. This way, you are tightening the cones and their lock nuts tighter together as you adjust the bearing. If you back them too far, (loose bearing,) unlock one side, tighten that cone and lock nut into the bearing (again, slightly too tight) and repeat the procedure until you get it right.

As to the use of caged balls or loose balls.......
Caged balls are easier to install, (make sure it's not upside down) But, If you use loose balls, you can (usually) add one more ball, increasing the bearing surface, hence the life of the bearing. (Campagnolo caged bearings are the only ones I've seen (there may be others) that have the maximum count.)
If you decide to use loose balls, you just use enough grease to stick the balls into the grease, (In the hub, with the wheel held horizontally.) where they will stay until you insert the axle (and locked nut), before flipping the wheel over to do the other side.

Hope this information helps, rather than confuses the issue.

Mods:please move or treat this any way you like.

Back