My 70's German road bike

I'm attaching a picture of my bike, no motor yet as I have not decided.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

This frame has a short horizontal dropout for the rear axle which is maybe a factor (not too much torque).

It's probably 1974 or 75, maybe commissioned by Pletcher. I can't find any manufacturer name on it, the decals all say Continental. A 10 speed Schwinn it is not.

It has 28" inox Weinmann rims, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, 3 speed Sachs Torpedo hub with coaster brake. The front brake is a Weinmann Symetric, which I will be repairing or replacing (does not stay centered).

The lights and mudguards are factory, too. I changed the stem to get the handlebars off of my knees, the adjustable stem was the only thing I could find on short notice. Getting parts here in Spain for an old road bike is difficult.

Attachments

• continental.JPG
    continental.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 889
Looks like a rugged, lugged steel frame and a decent candidate for motorizing. Good idea on retro-fitting a rear rim brake (saw the other thread).
I'm not a big fan of the chinese engines but would anything be available locally or in Europe that they're using on bikes?
Oh, and make sure those fenders are on to stay, motorizing can create cracking due to vibration.

Thanks for the tip on the fenders.

I'm a little lukewarm myself on the Chinese motors. After reading through the threads here it looks like I'd have to do a good deal of 'preventative' modifications. Also ideally I'd like to find something that looks like it might belong there, maybe a Sachs or similar.

I'd like to see more photos of friction drives with fenders.

I see Sachs is still marketing bicycles in Germany, maybe I'll be lucky and find a fixie. Although I'll have to fix up a drive wheel. Other options are out there.

I haven't ruled out electric, mainly because they seem to be popular and it might be easier to find parts.

a fellow motorized bike club member mounted a HT on a continental frame and when the drive roller came loose and got caught in between the large wheel sprocket, it bent the chain stay. As I recall, the chain stay was very skinny and the drive roller couldn't clamp around it properly.

Back