My Basic MAB

Here is my basic motor assisted bike. Not too pretty, but pretty functional. It's about 98% done which means there will always something else to tweak or add on. Hope the uploads work OK...

Attachments

• P9200019.JPG
    P9200019.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 550
  • P9200023.JPG
    P9200023.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 400
  • P9200022.JPG
    P9200022.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 438
  • P9200025.JPG
    P9200025.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 413
  • P9200026.JPG
    P9200026.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 378
  • P9200027.JPG
    P9200027.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 349
Pull start only. Centrifugal clutchs freewheel if the bike speed is higher than the motor speed so pedal starting is out. Compression feels like starting a chainsaw. Pretty easy. These engines would pedal start with a regular clutch and you wouldn't need a pull start. It looks like these 4 strokes are originally intented for other than bike use and that is one reason for the pull start. I might try building a 2 stroke someday just to see how it feels with the narrow engine. 4 stroke kits weigh a bit more - about 25 pounds total weight. I think 2 strokes come in at 9 or 10 pounds less....

More accurate way of describing a centrifugal clutch is to say that it does not engage with engine speeds below about 2000 rpm. So if the motor is not running, the clutch will not engage (freewheels) no matter how fast you pedal.

Tach

Yes, that is a tach and hour meter. It displays engine speed up to 13000 rpm when the engine is running. It shows the accumulated run time when the engine is shut down. Got it from http://www.alliedelec.com/ for about 27 dollars US.

Rich

Not exactly, Highrider. The bike is 14 years old and a lot of the stuff was added on over the years. I'm a bargain hunter and don't mind surfing the web for good prices. Many of the items on the bike cost about $8-$9. I really went overboard with the $37 Planet Bike Superflash taillight because I bought it locally. Could have got it for half the price on the internet if I wanted to wait for shipping. Ya just got to get what you can afford one piece at a time. I consider this a great hobby as well as fun transportation.
Think of all the money you save on gas, insurance, registration fees, etc.

Beautiful bike. Next someone will create some sort of dashboard.:)
It looks like it's a lot of fun to ride. How do you get that insert mirror to stay in? I bought one, but it pops out after 2 or 3 minutes of riding. I've tired wrapping rubber around the insert. Did you spray or put something sticky inside the handle bar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scott. That dashboard idea sounds cool. Maybe you should look into developing it. In any case, the mirror actually is not a permanent mount. It mounts on the outside of the handlebar grip and is fastened by velcro. It works well because your hand is actually holding on to it when you ride and the fastening system holds on well. Here's some details at:

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/accessories_detail.php?id=51

I got it at Target for $5 or $6.

Back