My Best out of the Box Engine experience

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
5:06 PM
Over the years, I have had 6 engines. A couple never ran good or had bad crank seals out of the box. A couple that were no-name specials and weren't anything to write home about. A Zeda 80 that I haven't really used on a good bike yet, so idunno. A BBR Tuning/Stage big cylinder head deal that ran good but didn't have the power I expected...

This one though, I originally had it on a 56 tooth bike and it would pull the seat out from under me. This weekend I swapped out that BBR engine on a 36 tooth bike with it and holy moly... 5 mph more / minor deceleration on upgrades compared to the BBR that came off it / and much better pull from take off. Best of all the whole kit is only $107 -- the kit has cheap parts but the engine is bad ass, especially for the price. Downside is the carb choice is limited. Bofeng won't fit due to the bowl hitting the clutch arm / cable.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
My genius decided I'd go on a 32 mile test ride for my first run getting this engine on the bike. I did have previous experience on this bike with a different engine and this engine on a different bike.

This drive on old BBR engine set-up: Wide open throttle for 13 miles no stops, wishing I had more and sometimes touching my chin to the handlebars to lower my resistance. Inclines I would drop 5 mph. Top speed ever, 31mph

My first run on this engine: Rarely had the throttle wide open, incline lost maybe 1 mph, wind only made me dip my head once, I didn't hit my top speed but I backed off at 36 mph.

I bought my engine like yours from the same vendor. A Bofeng fits on my engine.
I ran a Bofeng and went back the NT Speed carb that came with the kit. The engine runs faster with the kit carb.
The engine ran well on the Bofeng but I lost 3-4 mph with it so I went back to the kit carb.

When I got this engine back in Oct/Nov and had questions since I wasn't expecting a different style engine, someone mentioned that it was a good base for a Minarelli hybrid because of that
This engine has 6mm cylinder bolts and 8mm mount studs

That was my first engine kit back when they were released in 2018, Beat the crap out of it and it never failed! Even used it for my school science project on 2 stroke engines lol.

If you add an NGK B6HS it'll improve the performance even more, as it bumps the compression up a good bit. The chain and muffler will fail on ya, but other than that they run really good out of the box.

Recorded my commute data today:

Miles: 14.60 (I always thought it was 16. Now I need to take 3 miles a day off my total mileage)
Top Speed: 36 mph
Avg Speed: 29 mph including idle time
Trip time: 30:09 -- Moving/Idle: 29:17/00:52 On my BBR engine this trip would take me ~40 minutes

On a 36 tooth sprocket Cranbrook with disc brakes. I can tell I've never gone that fast before on this bike.

Best part about my commute is that after the first (or until the last depending on direction) 2.5 miles it is all 50 mph 2 lane farmland highway with no stops for 12.10 miles.

Miles: 14.60 (I always thought it was 16. Now I need to take 3 miles a day off my total mileage)

Oh that's right. I recently changed my route. I now cross a 7 lane road at an intersection with no lights. Turns out, the lights a block away on each side of me stop at the same time and I have traffic-free moments. I avoided that before as I didn't realize it was as easy as it was. My commute before was 15.98 miles. Before I was doing a J and now I am doing a spread wide L but pointing the same direction. Someone is gonna read that and think I am going the wrong way...

Back