My bike up to now

This has been a project of mine for a couple of years now, it started out as a 66cc 2 stroke kit from bileberry on a 26" Chinese beach cruiser

I rode that bike for a little, but it never had functional brakes. Putting brakes on that bike wasn't going to be something that would be as simple as buying one part.

So, I figured if I was going to build a wheel for that bike I should get a different frame which is meant to have an engine on it.

So, over the next few months I got an in tank frame and a Springer fork (it was the wrong size, so I had to have a couple of spacers machines to take up the gap. Then I went to a bike shop and had them build a couple of wheels, the rear would use a hub which a sprocket could mount to it. The front wheel would have a Surly disc brake hub.

Had a lot of fun with this setup, I found that a dual cable brake lever works pretty well

Finally, at some point, I decided to put a 49cc 4 stroke engine on it, which didn't take very long as the rest of the bike wouldn't need any modification. To get the bike to its current state.

Funnily enough the 4 stroke exhaust that came with it didn't fit, but the stock 2 stroke exhaust fits perfectly.

My future plans for this bike include building a custom exhaust similar to The phantom bikes Longshot exhaust, except with a thread on the end so I can have thread-on cigar muffler that is removable, then I will mess with the jetting. The only other thing I plan on doing is replacing the flywheel and coil with their Honda

If anyone has any questions about the specifics feel free to ask.

Also, at one point the bike had a 2 bolt non Springer chain tensioner, and while riding it it twisted over jamming itself into the wheel breaking spokes, this required the wheel to be re-laced, now it has a 4 bolt spring chain tensioner, which I have had no problems with so far.

How do the engines compare to each other? Will it still go 40 with the 4 stroke?

The main difference between the 2 and 4 stroke is that the 2 stroke made no power until like 10mph, then it started pulling like a freight train. The 4 strokes powerband is much smoother, it doesn't make as much power as the 2 stroke but the power of the 4 stroke is spread over a wider rpm range, so I can gradually feel the engine get until its powerband, its a lot subtler than the 2 stroke.

As far as top speed, the 4 stroke currently has the stock coil and flywheel, which from what I can research and feel has a rev-limiter, so the top speed for the time being is fixed. To midigate this I will install a honda gxh50 flywheel and coil.

I do believe with a few mods it will go 40, as this engine is completely stock and the 2 stroke is ported a fair bit. As I mentioned before, it will be getting a custom exhaust and I'll also mess with jetting.

But to get back to your question, no it will not go 40 in its current form.

Looking into it, it looks like affordable go karts is one of the only places selling performance parts for these engines. Hopefully I can send my carb to them to get bored out. Also, I haven't found anyone who makes billet rods or performance cams oh well

If you port the head and get a free flow exhaust, you probably won't need the rod. Honda makes a pretty good as it is. With a bored carb you'll be zipping along.

If you port the head and get a free flow exhaust, you probably won't need the rod. Honda makes a pretty good as it is. With a bored carb you'll be zipping along.

Yeah, I'll definitely do those things, I guess it makes sense that the stock rod would be fine, as the Piston doesn't weigh all that much where as in a 212 or a 420cc engine the Piston has a relatively high amount of reciprocating mass

I've run a few Hondas at higher rpms and haven't broke one yet. The only thing I've added was a lightened flywheel and stronger valve springs. On my cyclecart I only turn the motor at 6500 rpm. I might port the head before the new season begins this year, you know, just for grins and giggles.

Back