My Bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a already broken in KingsMotor 80cc engine from craigslist. The seller was nice and showed me everything. He also did some mods (I wouldn't be able to tell you, sorry, not good with motors) that supposedly gives more torque to lower speeds, for better starts and hill climbing.

I put it on a bike, that, when I got it, continually and aggresively fought with me. When I replaced one part, another broke off. for about 2 months. by the end of that time, the bike had mismatched tires, no pedals, stripped threads in the pedal bars. So I said "F*** it." and decided to strap a motor on it. Been wanting the kingsmotor for months, and found the ad on craigslist for about 60$

Guess I got a good deal, whenever I have an issue with the engine, I can call the seller and get answer fast, or ask around here, you guys are great.

904_HPIM0460_1.jpg

I want to add some kind of bright front light, preferably in the same style as the Whizzer motorbikes. I love that look. plus turn signals of some kind and brake light. maybe with a seperate battery pack or something. Also, thick whitewall tires and black fenders.

Any info anyone has on doing any of that can leave it for me to read.

I'm glad I found this community, It's pretty awesome, You guys rock!

Hi Joseph

Looks like you did pretty well in mounting the motor, not bad at all.

I have a couple Whizzers, one I built up from a regular bicycle and the other I bought new with all the things you mention on it. I think you should be able to add the electrical without much of a problem. Not totally sure but I think there is a charging wire coming from your engine that maybe connected to a voltage regulator like the one on the Whizzer. If that's true the rest should be easy. The Whizzer battery is very small and easly attached somewhere on the bike.

Will be watching with interest to see how it works out for you.

Bill Snow

help for lighting, if you really want to see at night and have people see you, then this is a lighting solution for you.
first get a 12volt 5amp battery($15) mount it where ever you can, every bike is different, next go buy a 20watt halogen light from your local hardware store, they are cheap but bright($5). 3rd buy switch($3) 3 position switch should do just fine. next just hook it all together, here is a diagram for hooking it all up
325_head_light_install_1.jpg

here are pics of what it looks like on my bike,

325_IMG_0821_2.jpg

325_IMG_0715_3.jpg

this works great for me, l can ride for hours at night without the light going out on me and is very bright, the 20watt halogen light sucks very little juice from your battery, so it will last quite awhile. the other way of hooking up your light, is to the 6volt wire, which produces bad lighting, just ask augidoggi, hope this helps and good luck......
325_IMG_0640_3.jpg

I like that halogen light idea, friend works at the local hardware store and can get most, if not all, of that stuff for free. Ill check it out later.

is that battery rechargable or do you buy a new one when it drains.

yup, the white-wire light is good (surprisingly good) at the 6V / 1 bulb level, but for effective & comprehensive lighting a battery-powered system is the only doable option.

i'd still like to see if the white-wire would recharge a battery system, that'd be about optimized, IMO.

ya l forgot to mention a 20$ battery charger one that will do 6-12volts small charger, just plug her in at night everyother day, just don't let it drain completely or the battery will no longer charge.

update

new tires and lights. going to add fenders and mirrors next.

904_DSCN1207_1.jpg

JosephGarcia...i, too, am a "bolt-on" builder...i think you've done a great job up to now, keep it up. very nice pic 8)

this is for the off-topic addict, jeffspeeder: when you have a need to have a convo with a person other than the original poster, go private message. this is getting real old real fast. wise up, ok?

update!

So I tore down the entire bike today, repainted the frame a Semi-Gloss Black . I like that look. Repainted some components to match the bike, painted front suspension. and cleaned up the wiring and cable routing.

904_DSCN1212_1.jpg

front view.

next is view from the drivers seat.
904_DSCN1210_1.jpg

I mounted a switch I bought at radioshack as a killswitch in the clock part. :D

The air pressure gauge is for my front shocks (not really,it does nothing, but it looks cool!) entire right side is reserved for an analog speedometer and I want some kind of temperature gauge as well. As well as switches for a new lighting system I'm going to install soon. Plus mirrors.

Here is a closeup of the center of my handlebars.
904_DSCN1211_1.jpg

I switched to 40:1 gas-oil mixture today and I found the engine had more power, better starting, it ran cooler, no more black build up. I'm sticking with 40:1.

Only bad news. I found out my back wheel is not strong enough for this engine, it ripped out a few spokes and the wheel is bent beyond use. Getting a new one tomorrow. Plus, I had my generator lighting set up front and back, but a bad meeting with a bush ripped out the thin wires I spent so much time laying out across the frame. ( I had the bike leaning against the bush, in hindsight, terrible idea.)

I also found out, if you put regular dishsoap on a normal sponge, get it sudsy, and use the coarse side, you can get the whitewalls on your tires looking brand spanking new, with minimal effort, which always gets me compliments. ("oh, your tires look so shiny!") from the girls at my adult school. It also perfectly cleans off any grease that may have spun off from a chain or moving part ( I over greased my chain once.)

Ok. more updates and pics tomorrow when I get the new rim and hopefully a mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back