Carby my carb won't fit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahem. filing the slide.

want my links?

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

http://www.snowvalley.20m.com/bikes/jets.htm

so far thats three that mention the "throttle slide cutaway". and how increasing the cutaway leans out the initial mix on transition from idle...

i say file because there arent any alternate slides available for these dodgy carbs :rolleyes:

number 4... http://www.keihin-us.com/am/_media/pdf/slide_valve.pdf

and sorry, i dont feel the effort of taking pics of my library is really worth it...

how about you DO YOUR RESEARCH then YOU do the THINKING?

or maybe, once again, im actually just talking :poop:. wouldnt really have a clue what im doing, would i? :giggle:

also...while maybe a noobie to the joys of motorised bicycles, not necessarily a noobie to the art of soldering or such other things. some people know computers inside out. i dont.... etc. some people have skills in areas that others dont.

im not saying soldering wire in the jet is THE ONLY WAY. im just putting it forward as another possible alternative :D

anyways.

yup. reeds arent perfect. if they stop sealing...blowback. there was the momentum of the air itself hitting a closed port and rebounding, and theres the times you simply over rev them. at this point they just cant close fast enough...

ive seriously contemplated some type of drum/disc induction, but nope. too hard. gave that one up... but it is the best overall, though it has its own drawbacks...

sorry to be such a perfectionist :) just i like information to be 100% correct :)

feel free to do the same to me :)

oooh! and my secret! once again. research. hypothesise. conduct experiment. evaluate results. was the hypothesis correct? in my case, on certain types of carbs, yes.

its a bleeding secret! but ill say it gives the main an extra squirt of fuel at transition without being rich at WOT...

i mention it because some people can think for themselves and given a hint... ;)

these same people may just happen to have interests in 2strokes besides on their bicycle. and i always welcome competition :)

Last edited:
Carb Slide

ahem. filing the slide.

want my links?

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

http://www.snowvalley.20m.com/bikes/jets.htm

so far thats three that mention the "throttle slide cutaway". and how increasing the cutaway leans out the initial mix on transition from idle...

i say file because there arent any alternate slides available for these dodgy carbs :rolleyes:

number 4... http://www.keihin-us.com/am/_media/pdf/slide_valve.pdf

and sorry, i dont feel the effort of taking pics of my library is really worth it...

how about you DO YOUR RESEARCH then YOU do the THINKING?

or maybe, once again, im actually just talking :poop:. wouldnt really have a clue what im doing, would i? :giggle:

also...while maybe a noobie to the joys of motorised bicycles, not necessarily a noobie to the art of soldering or such other things. some people know computers inside out. i dont.... etc. some people have skills in areas that others dont.

im not saying soldering wire in the jet is THE ONLY WAY. im just putting it forward as another possible alternative :D

anyways.

yup. reeds arent perfect. if they stop sealing...blowback. there was the momentum of the air itself hitting a closed port and rebounding, and theres the times you simply over rev them. at this point they just cant close fast enough...

ive seriously contemplated some type of drum/disc induction, but nope. too hard. gave that one up... but it is the best overall, though it has its own drawbacks...

sorry to be such a perfectionist :) just i like information to be 100% correct :)

feel free to do the same to me :)
Hey HeadSmess, I didn't mean to turn this into all this. (I still love ya bro). Although all very good information, none of your links recomend or even suggest filing the carb slide. I did learn a thing or two about tuning a carb though, and thanks for that. The first link you show isn't even the same carb you get with the HT engine. I could go in to ALL the differences but you already know. The other links are VERY good ones on how to tune a carb, but still, shows no slide filing. It only shows what is high and low side of the angled slot.
Let's try something my M.B. brother. I propose you try a little experiment. First, remove the idle screw to drop the slide all the way down, Then take the air filter off so you can see the slide. Then, take a very fine tipped marker and mark across the slide and over to the slide body. Remove the slide and file the heck out of the angled slot only. Replace the slide and see if it dropped down at all. If it didn't drop then you've had no effect on the carb except to change how far the idle screw will go in before it contacts the slide. Somehow you seem to think filing the angled slot will drop the carb slide, it wont. it still hits from the BOTTOM of the carb slide and will not fall any further down. You could still file some off the very BOTTOM of the slide, letting it fall further down, In turn letting the needle fall further down thus leaning out the fuel at idle. But try the experiment. I think you'll see that the slide didn't drop. And if the slide don't drop then the needle don't drop for the effect your looking for. Or just take the idle screw all the way out so the slot has no effect on anything at all, filed or not. The slide will drop all the way down and can go no further no matter how much you file the angled part.
Again, The ONLY thing that changes by filing the angled slot is to change how far you have to screw IN the idle screw before it contacts the slide. You can acheive the same thing by simply backing OUT the idle screw a turn or two OR back it out all the way.
C'mon everyone. I know HeadSmess is our friend and has a LOT of good info. But somebody else needs to jump in here and help out our friend or call ME wrong or SOMETHING. Our going back and forth like this is going nowhere fast. WHAT? For once no one else has an opinion? What's up with that?
Big Red.

well here's my take on this, remember I'm the "newbe" here, and this is my thread so cool it dudes, You are both giving out some good info here but lets not turn this into a shouting match
I'm not gona start filing on the slide, this doesn't seem to make any sense too me, but soldering a wire in the jet sounds like it could be a good idea if you are
(a) confident the jet needs to be smaller and
(b) confident you can solder a piece of wire to a brass jet,
I'm all about trying to make something work with what you've got, and not just part changing,
I don't have allot of time to work on this right now but I ride a little every night and I know it could run better, so I'll be working on this a little at a time
Thanks for all the advise,,,
see ya

ok, so what if you filed the slide AND the slot that the idle screw seats into.
This would lower the slide and the idle screw slot would be higher and not holding the slide open at teh same height before you file the idle screw slot.
so what i'm saying is that if you file the bottom of the slide AND file the ilde screw slot in the slide, the slide will drop lower in the carb.
I'm just guessing here...

Slide

ok, so what if you filed the slide AND the slot that the idle screw seats into.
This would lower the slide and the idle screw slot would be higher and not holding the slide open at teh same height before you file the idle screw slot.
so what i'm saying is that if you file the bottom of the slide AND file the ilde screw slot in the slide, the slide will drop lower in the carb.
I'm just guessing here...
Right Moto, Like I've been saying all along. If you file the BOTTOM of the slide it will fall further down. And if you did that THEN you could file the slot to let the screw catch the angled slot further up the top of the slide. But still, all you're doing is leaning out your idle and you can do that with a needle clip adjustment.

well here's my take on this, remember I'm the "newbe" here, and this is my thread so cool it dudes, You are both giving out some good info here but lets not turn this into a shouting match
I'm not gona start filing on the slide, this doesn't seem to make any sense too me, but soldering a wire in the jet sounds like it could be a good idea if you are
(a) confident the jet needs to be smaller and
(b) confident you can solder a piece of wire to a brass jet,
I'm all about trying to make something work with what you've got, and not just part changing,
I don't have allot of time to work on this right now but I ride a little every night and I know it could run better, so I'll be working on this a little at a time
Thanks for all the advise,,,
see ya
Your right on both counts Dan. Filing the slide does not make any sense. And if you trust your soldering ability then using a few strands of wire is a great idea. I never said it was a bad idea or it would'nt work. ALL I said was SOME people may not have the skills to pull it off.
Big Red.

:D weeee!

ok. there has been, i feel, some confusion about this term filing and exactly which cutaway im talking about. theres the ramp for the idle stop screw... opposite the cable/guide slot. this remains untouched.

the OTHER cutaway is at right angles to it and should be facing the airfilter end of the carb.

read through my links. they explain what the cutaway is and i feel no need to repeat.
there are no alternate slides for a ht...that im aware of. so, the other way to increase the height of the cutaway is with a file...or grinder...etc. nd once done, theres no turning back without replacing it... so yeah. bad idea... unless you get it right.

this has no bearing or relation to how far the slide drops into the carb. it does bear on the airflow through the carb though. read the links.

a slide carb is a slide carb regardless of what brand it is. the major differences are throat/venturi sizes, whether theres a seperate pilot circuit and main or not, um... thread sizes? so being able to tune one means you can apply the same techniques to another... regardless of how lousy it is...

(my old victa slide carb had no needle...just a jet.)

this is for the ex-spurt :p and a spurt is just a drip under pressure... :D

so, yes, danmarjon...read, absorb but dont necessarily COPY :) just the knowledge in your head is worthwhile. if you understand things completely, anythings possible. like soldering... if i can teach a four yr old to solder properly... it keeps the lil runts busy and they dont get into trouble... :D i do though!

alright! this threads been a doozy! i might get off my behind and go do something besides talk :poop:... :D

Last edited:
Filing

OK, THAT makes a little more sense. But still, The only "angled" cutaway IS the idle set. The other is the curved front and rear bottom of the slide. But THANK GOD we finally got this all cleared up. I KNOW your pretty good at this and I just could'nt figure out your reasoning behind the "angled slot filing" thing. Of course, letting more air in at idle = less fuel = leaner mix. I knew there had to be an explaination to what you were saying. Thanks for sticking with it and clearing it up.
Still yer friend,
Big Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back