My engine won't run after driving in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveenBavari

Local time
9:53 AM
Over a week ago I drove my bike in the rain for a few miles. Around 3/4 of the way through my trip the engine died and I managed to get the bike running and get it back home. Now, over a week later, the bike won't run. I tried drying it out but it will only run for a few second or two unless I rev the engine to keep it alive. Did I ruin my engine?

sounds more like some water sitting in bottom of carb bowl

I'd drain the carb at the drain screw into a glass jar to look for more water that may have been in the tank

after that its a matter of checking motor mounts, wire connections, and stuff like that

Moisture in the Magneto.
Pull the front left side cover and dry it out.
Use some silicone around the hole where the wires come out to keep future water out.

I don't think there is moisture in the Magneto because it will run so it is getting spark, it is just when I am not applying throttle when it dies. I'll check it anyway just to make sure.

silly question maybe, but did you turn up the idle screw?

The bike will only be able to idle if the screw is turned all the way in. Before it would be able to idle no matter how far it was turned in or out.

screw all the way in to idle is most often a rich condition - check that choke plate is working right and try dropping the needle down a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back