My engine won't run after driving in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The choke plate is working fine. I can turn the needleft about 3/4 of a turn before it cuts out.

The choke plate is working fine. I can turn the needleft about 3/4 of a turn before it cuts out.
Open your carb bowl and check if the jet fell out, you have a rich carb for an unexplained reason. The screw is the idle screw is a screw, not the needle, the needle is the pin that was sticking out of that barrel you installed the throttle cable onto in the carburetor. It comes out of the barrel and has a tiny silver clip on it to set the height of the needle. Lower the clip richens the low and mid, opposite direction does the opposite.

If the jet didn't fall out then it's the float being just slightly off.

If not the jet or the float, hows your power? Certain leaks will have you needing to turn the idle way up just to keep it running... Look for oil drips around the head..

silly question maybe, but did you turn up the idle screw?
i had the same issue.. in this order 1) AIR FILTER GETS WET.. BIKE DIES..WATER GOES INTO CARB REAL BAD.. 2) PLUG WIRE GETS WET . GROUNDS OUT IRREGULAR, GROUND FAULT SHORT.. 3)GAS GETS WATER IN IT FROM FAULTY SEAL AROUND TANK .. BIKE DIES...

i had the same issue.. in this order 1) AIR FILTER GETS WET.. BIKE DIES..WATER GOES INTO CARB REAL BAD.. 2) PLUG WIRE GETS WET . GROUNDS OUT IRREGULAR, GROUND FAULT SHORT.. 3)GAS GETS WATER IN IT FROM FAULTY SEAL AROUND TANK .. BIKE DIES...
When that filter got wet it had to be pouring cats and dogs and elephants if the rain alone was able to drown the bike via the air filter... I've ridden in so much rain and can't recall my filter clogging from just water.

That seal on the tank might not be impenetrable, but it's never going to be so bad that rain can make its way in enough to stop an engine running unless there's an inch wide hole in the top.

You sure people aren't putting water in your tank while you're not looking? During bad weather would be convenient enough not to raise eye brows...

If none of the suggestions you've gotten so far help, maybe your air filter is damp & that's having an effect like putting on the choke. You could probably clear it up w/ a little engine EZ starter spray if that's the case, or a few hours of running

You can waterproof your electricals w/ liquid electrical tape (or hot glue gun if you're cheap & willing to tolerate a slight fire risk like i am... Just don't use "Flex Seal" it's god awful, especially when it starts to dissolve in oil & becomes furry looking)

And water shouldn't be able to get in the carb really at all from a rain, the bowl itself is pretty well isolated from the rest of the world other than a small vent hole. Water in the carb is water in the tank, if you have that much water then I'd be very suspicious of the reason behind that.

FRANKENSTEIN
And water shouldn't be able to get in the carb really at all from a rain, the bowl itself is pretty well isolated from the rest of the world other than a small vent hole. Water in the carb is water in the tank, if you have that much water then I'd be very suspicious of the reason behind that.
My air filter is exposed not in a plastic case /box.

most normal bikes dont have this issue.. only crazies like me that buy these jai ling and ssr 50 bikes..I just found a blue one in reno.. bought it for 500.. yea new bike... yippie

most normal bikes dont have this issue.. only crazies like me that buy these jai ling and ssr 50 bikes..I just found a blue one in reno.. bought it for 500.. yea new bike... yippie
new engines from monster scooter or 125 chinese crap that only costs 249.00

new engines from monster scooter or 125 chinese crap that only costs 249.00
sun just came out.. time to go for a nice ride! yea ride on! picked up a bike fixing job with a zx 6 j scooter. issue, sat in rain 2 years .. wont start,, fun fun fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back