My engines running really high idle and when i give it gas it dies do you think i should clean the carb out? Or do you think its an air leak?

Before you go buying performance bits make sure your carb is seated tightly against the intake manifold.

If you have an Ace hardware nearby, pick up a Viton 3mm thick 17 mm diameter O-ring and place it inside the clamp-on spigot end of your carb to make sure the carb isn't leaking air in from the fit of the intake manifold.

You can bring your carb along with you to see if you have the correct size at the Ace Hardware store.

Some AutoZones might carry these as well.

I don't have a grommet on that part or the slide throttle cap or the throttle cable at the top and the carbs pastic cover is open a little at the top.

1547649439976.png

Took it for a longer then usual ride last night and lost the idle screw> I found a kinda matching part but the springs gone im thinking of tieing the little bolt to the carb with some fishing line or something so if it ever comes out again it will just be dangeling there till I find a good spring
It never came with gaskets so I thought it diden't need them i guess I'll patch these leaks up and post back

I did every thing you guys said and it was working better but when i put the carb back on i stripped a bolt now its like all jerky and not smooth at all! sad face

Theres 2 washers on it equeling about 4mm think i can take thos off then hope and pray it dosent strip the remaining thread maybe i should just use a longer thread

You could buy a new jug for 20$ Jug if need be just get the right sizes and while your there you can port it out if you want too. The threads on the cast aluminum can be very soft on some jugs i used others that had a pretty strong alloy be easy and leave them just snug not tight the bolts on the intake and exhaust when i first built my bike i tightened them so tight they stripped so many times untill i learned to stop tightening them so dang tight and double nut them and loctight saves you the grief.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It sounds like an air leak to me. A common place that these little engines develop leaks is at the head gasket. I've seen these cheap stock heads actually become warped from heat. A good way to check is to start the engine and just put your hand down around the head and see if you can feel any air shooting out when you rev it. Also, check for air leaks at the carb connection and intake manifold, look for gas or oil leaking or you can use a soapy water and then start it and see if you can spot any bubbles or obvious leaks. And, yeah, it's never a bad idea to clean the carb.

I had a kinda similar issue and found that my float height was allowing the float bowl to fill WAYYY too much. made the motor do a bunch of unpredictable s**t from idling wild to bogging to 4 stroking. I finally had to start leaning the bike over at red lights to the side-a lot- just to get the idle to slow down. people were looking at me funny. then I saw how to bend my float valve tines to lower the fuel level inside the float bowl,.... and life was suddenly beautiful. every problem vanished instantly.

Last edited:
Back