My Favorite Time Of Year

Good thing I took this picture. I'll have something to remember that small screwdriver by. šŸ¤£ Lost it someplace trying to get the bike started.

Autumn.jpg

Just a crankshaft seal behind the magneto! Not bad! Will change the amount of leak depending on rpm and temperature! I've only taken mine out when I split my case but I think you would be able to take the magnet off, pull the old seal out with a pic or something and tap a new seal in with a deep socket or tube or pipe. Please correct me if I'm wrong someone.

@Frogslayer.

Yuck, hes got ya cover on this. Follow his instructions and you'll have it fixed in no time. Its not hard, just tapping a seal back in. Use a little rtv on the edges if you want a little more peace of mind. Its just a tap tap and its in.

@Frogslayer.

Yuck, hes got ya cover on this. Follow his instructions and you'll have it fixed in no time. Its not hard, just tapping a seal back in. Use a little rtv on the edges if you want a little more peace of mind. Its just a tap tap and its in.
Lube the shaft with a little 2 stroke oil as well before install to minimize possible damage to new seal lips. I removed my crank and then sanded a few thousandths of the shaft on each side so my crank can slip fit in the bearings instead of being pressed on and off.

Lube the shaft with a little 2 stroke oil as well before install to minimize possible damage to new seal lips. I removed my crank and then sanded a few thousandths of the shaft on each side so my crank can slip fit in the bearings instead of being pressed on and off.
Good tips, I'll be building an engine from scratch soon. Waiting for parts and my press.

I think something else is wrong with this. It still only wants to start with the choke closed. It never seems to do the same thing twice. People tell me it's lean (some say rich) but if it's lean why does it want the choke closed? Today the pipe was a lot hotter than the head after a short run, which, as I understand it, means it's lean. But why does closing the choke make it run better if it's lean? Makes no sense.

Or maybe I need a 60 jet or an 80 jet. šŸ˜ Another guy I know has the same engine as me an he said he had to go down to a 62 jet. But again, this thing seems to be lean based on what others have said and that my pipe seems to get hotter than the head.
Man that sounds like an air leak, check arround the intake and make sure you have an intake gasket on, make sure yor carburetor head, like where you screw it on is screwed all the way

Good tips, I'll be building an engine from scratch soon. Waiting for parts and my press.
I
Man that sounds like an air leak, check arround the intake and make sure you have an intake gasket on, make sure yor carburetor head, like where you screw it on is screwed all the way
The leaking crankshaft seal is the air leak from the sounds of it.

How can I say this? This should do it: šŸ˜  followed by šŸ˜• followed by this šŸ˜¢ ... I just looked on the floor under the bike and found seepage. Got on the floor and looked up ... saw a drop under the magneto cover, I see oil on the downtube of the bike and one drop under the cylinder. I'm charging my GoPro. I'll make a video in about an hour.

I'm pretty sure it's not an intake leak. The thought of having to disassemble this entire thing doesn't bring me an ounce of joy. I can't stand having to redo something. I try hard to do things the right way the first time because that's how you should do it, and because I can't stand doing twice what should really only be done once. But this was all unexplored territory for me. I'll make a new video post in an hour or so. Maybe there'll be some clues for you guys to comment on.
You are doing a quality repair on a broken part, you're not redoing it. Unfortunately, you have to take the motor off the bike, I guess if you had a big enough work bench you could put the whole bike up on the bench.

You are doing a quality repair on a broken part, you're not redoing it. Unfortunately, you have to take the motor off the bike, I guess if you had a big enough work bench you could put the whole bike up on the bench.
Or and Idea I stole from the ghost of Frankestein, a deer hoist. @yuckfoo

It will work in your apt, you have an apt right? Just get a big eyelet and bolt it to a 2x12 in the middle with some big fender washers, counter sink it a little bit. Then screw it up to the ceiling with some long deck screws. If you need to stand off the ceiling a little for textured ceiling. Just use some PVC pipe cut as a spacer. Make sure you hit wood when you screw it in, you would probably do best with a stud finder. An I'm not talking Grinder. lol. Then hook it up when ya need it, take it down and slap up your Canadian maple leaf plants to get some sun.....

Just a crankshaft seal behind the magneto! Not bad! Will change the amount of leak depending on rpm and temperature! I've only taken mine out when I split my case but I think you would be able to take the magnet off, pull the old seal out with a pic or something and tap a new seal in with a deep socket or tube or pipe. Please correct me if I'm wrong someone.
The drop of oil on the underside of the magneto cover was from the oil coming out at the spark plug. After I deal with my broken chainguard and right side shift kit chain that has become loose I will start the engine for the express purpose of trying to find a leak. I had previously checked the intake and found no leaks there. Next time I'll focus on the head gasket and base gasket. Are there other places I can try? Someone suggested I use my map gas torch. Is this a bad idea for some reason? I'd rather not use WD-40 as it leaves a residue. I also have electronics cleaner which leaves no residue and has about (to my eyes) three times the fire power that WD-40 does when tested with a lighter. šŸ”„

The drop of oil on the underside of the magneto cover was from the oil coming out at the spark plug. After I deal with my broken chainguard and right side shift kit chain that has become loose I will start the engine for the express purpose of trying to find a leak. I had previously checked the intake and found no leaks there. Next time I'll focus on the head gasket and base gasket. Are there other places I can try? Someone suggested I use my map gas torch. Is this a bad idea for some reason? I'd rather not use WD-40 as it leaves a residue. I also have electronics cleaner which leaves no residue and has about (to my eyes) three times the fire power that WD-40 does when tested with a lighter. šŸ”„
You dont want to spray a flammable liquid at a hot engine. A gas ( not fuel) will just waft away. Safer to use a mapp or propane torch unlit. An cleaner as well.

Some people use a water bottle with water to spray. I prefer propane or mapp because its super easy to notice the rpm change.

Back