My Favorite Time Of Year

Good thing I took this picture. I'll have something to remember that small screwdriver by. 🤣 Lost it someplace trying to get the bike started.

Autumn.jpg

The drop of oil on the underside of the magneto cover was from the oil coming out at the spark plug. After I deal with my broken chainguard and right side shift kit chain that has become loose I will start the engine for the express purpose of trying to find a leak. I had previously checked the intake and found no leaks there. Next time I'll focus on the head gasket and base gasket. Are there other places I can try? Someone suggested I use my map gas torch. Is this a bad idea for some reason? I'd rather not use WD-40 as it leaves a residue. I also have electronics cleaner which leaves no residue and has about (to my eyes) three times the fire power that WD-40 does when tested with a lighter. 🔥
There is no way a drop of oil could migrate from the top of the cylinder to the bottom of the case, oil at the bottom of the case is usually from exh gasket bottom leak, case gasket or crank seal.

There is no way a drop of oil could migrate from the top of the cylinder to the bottom of the case, oil at the bottom of the case is usually from exh gasket bottom leak, case gasket or crank seal.
A single drop couldn't perhaps, but multiple drops could. There was a bit of puddle on the floor as well and the inside of the magneto case was completely clean.

Is there a diagram that can show me where all my crank case bolts are? The ones that are easy to find (at the exhaust end motor mount and under the cylinder head) were all loose when I checked them last week.

Is there a diagram that can show me where all my crank case bolts are? The ones that are easy to find (at the exhaust end motor mount and under the cylinder head) were all loose when I checked them last week.
Alright I just watched a video of a guy tearing down an entire motor. Seems those four bolts are it.

A single drop couldn't perhaps, but multiple drops could. There was a bit of puddle on the floor as well and the inside of the magneto case was completely clean.
If oil was going from the sparkplug forward on the head as is seen then fell off onto the case you should see the trail it took to get to the bottom, and while riding in the wind it would have splashed back below the head onto the cylinder and again should be seen.

Damn I thought we were on the right track here for a second lol. In order to check the crank seals you'll have to run it with the side covers off except leave the small cover with the clutch arm installed. Maybe your case was just loose and leaking? If driven like that it may possibly have caused the gasket to fail somewhere but hopefully you got lucky and it's still good.

Damn I thought we were on the right track here for a second lol. In order to check the crank seals you'll have to run it with the side covers off except leave the small cover with the clutch arm installed. Maybe your case was just loose and leaking? If driven like that it may possibly have caused the gasket to fail somewhere but hopefully you got lucky and it's still good.

Clean the area where the gasket is broken with brake kleen. Then just smash some rtv in the crack with a flat head, then paste over half inch each side. Will seal right up. I have a bike with that repair. Been holding for 3 years now. Sand it rough for a little extra hold, before cleaning.

Back