My finally finsihed John Deere Project!

My John Deere Project!

1230_DSCN3425_1.jpg

Finally done, I guess I am one of the few to try out these new 49cc 4-stroke kits. I made many modifications, and some additions, and thought the crew would like my comments.
The engine runs nice. No complaints there. I added some motor mounts by slicing off the rubber ends of some tire valves, because everyone complained about vibration. They work well.
1230_DSCN3438_1.jpg

I ditched the chain tensioner wheel but kept the bracket and added a spring loaded glide wheel made for a single speed bike. This really helps, as the spring jumps back and forth under accel/deaccelleration.
1230_DSCN3441_1.jpg

The decals came off a child's Peg-Prego JD pedal tractor. A 6v battery runs just the lights (rear turn signals, brake light and front lights) I added a solar charger to keep it charged instead of recharging it all the time from an AC outlet. With the Georgia sun, it stays charged.
1230_DSCN3430_1.jpg

I added a rear brake switch to the rear brake, so the rear light lights up when I hit the brake handle. I added 2 bulbs between the turn signal bulbs for this. I fashioned a few parts to run a double set of rear side-pull brakes, with a dual pull brake handle just for the rear. I don't think too many people have tried that, but I figured I needed more braking power.
1230_DSCN3429_1.jpg

The Dash of 3 switches controls the main power, lights, and power to the rear. One lights up a Green LED. I have a horn switch but have yet to find a good 6v horn yet. A mini compass fits in the middle stem. I even added a cordless radar detector! Everything on the bike is either Black, Yellow, or Green.
1230_DSCN3426_1.jpg

I am just using it around the island where I live, the speed limits are 25-35 so it is perfect. Added a double kick-stand, the kind from Switzerland. NICE Product! Bought a yellow JD embossed seat from Nirve for $25 to match. Did add some lithium grease to the transmission to quiet it down some. First I painted the engine and exhaust high-temp black (not the carb). After 100 miles, it has come off the exhaust tube. Added yellow reflective tape swatches. Still need a longer analog speedometer cable, as I added shocks which raised the bike up quite a bit, but the digital one works well for now.
1230_DSCN3432_1.jpg

Hope you like it, Lord knows the kids, both big and small, sure like it around here! I have had a blast riding it around!
1230_DSCN3437_1.jpg

Seriously nice job! Where did you get the brake switch from? I'm planning on doing full lighting on my Stingray but have yet to find the proper hardware to have an automatically lighting taillight. Any guidance or a link would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Solar Charger

I am very interested in how you got the solar charger setup to work. I am thinking about using either a solar panel or a hub dynamo to charge my batteries. ANy info on how you accomplished this would be GREATLY appreciated. PS your bike is sick! I'm jealous...

Thanks, rode it around yesterday. Harborfreight.com has a nice 12v car solar charger for only $9.99. You can run a pair for 24v. I am switching to this 12v now as I need more output, the lights get used up fast.

Brake Switch and Chain Tensioner

Seriously nice job! Where did you get the brake switch from? I'm planning on doing full lighting on my Stingray but have yet to find the proper hardware to have an automatically lighting taillight. Any guidance or a link would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The chain tensioner I bought on ebay, for about $20. It is sold as a single speed accessory, converting a road or mountain bike with a rear 5 or 6 speed cassette to a single speed cog like a BMX bike has. The brake switch is a common micro switch, like a clothes dryer uses to tell if the door is closed. Very common. Just position it right, to engage as the rear brake tightens up. Good Luck, John

More comments after 1000 miles

The 4 stroke is a fine, fine engine. Doesn't even burn oil. Major flaw is the cheap pull starter. I am on the last legs of my second one, after barely repairing it myself twice. It is very cheaply made and breaks too easily. The addition of the synthetic wine cork slices as a replacement for my rubber motor mounts that kept cracking is working well. I highly recommend the spring loaded chain tensioner instead of that stupid teflon wheel that comes with the kit. If you could see the jump in the spring of my tensioner, you would know the forces that the wheel endures, cutting power in my opinion as it strains against it. Plus my chain is kept at a certain tension at all times, regardless of power accel/deaccel. The old style tranny needs lube every 50 to 100 miles. I would like to see how the 2nd Gen performs in noise level and smoothness. Still love it as my Island Cruiser, and it still gets friendly comments whenever it is used.

That's awesome. did you buy the kid's tractor just for the stickers? I love the tractor seat. I wonder what the folks over at JD would think.
And to think, I thought I had the coolest John Deere.

Attachments

• jdsprinkler2.JPG
    jdsprinkler2.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 323
Very nice job there man,professional.
The engine looks like a Hua Sheng...is it?....if it is it doesn't come with any sort of governor and that's a good thing.
Bummer with the Honda engine cos it's a hassle(disconnecting the governor)

She's a class act!

It is a really lovely creation. I'd like to see yellow mudguards because even tractors have rear mudguards!

Back