My first bike failure...It had to happen sometime I guess...lol.

If the broken stud wasn't bottomed out a left-handed drill bit will back it out, I removed many when working on forklifts. I removed broke bolts on the bottom of the mast lift cylinder using the left-handed bits, center punch the stud and drill slowly, let the bit stick and it usually will spin the stud out.

Well folks, it finally happened to me, I had my first bike failure today.

I was riding along between 30 to 35 MPH leading "Zak", one of our forum members who brought his two bikes with him, to my church parking lot so we had a good place to stage our rides from today as Zak is our first member to meet me in person.

We did a couple of minor adjustments to his bikes and as we get ready to ride, I look over my bike as i always do before riding and discovered one of the rear motor mount studs was missing off MY bike...Darn, Darn, Darn,...So instead of riding, we went to Lowes to get some 8mm bolts to bolt in, only to discover that the missing stud was missing, not because it backed its way out, but actually snapped inside the bolt casing of the motor.

So its looks like Im going to have to drill out the broken piece of stud in there before riding again...I did get it home with just the one new bolt put in quite firmly and it held just fine to get me here with Zak following me back of course.

So there you have it...Damien's first motorised bike failure...I guess it was bound to happen sometime...lol...Im sure Zak may have more to add to my little tale of woe...lol...DAMIEN
Finally got the time and fixed it this morning...Didn't have to pull the motor either...Just disconnected the motor from the front engine mount, and clipped off the zip ties holding the cables and electrical lines and disconnected the gas line so i could move around the motor freely from side to side was all that was necessary. It was almost too easy, it just doesn't get any better than this...lol.

Nothing had to be realigned again and it was nice not having to disconnect clutch cable, drive chain, throttle cable, etc. ...lol.

Gave the broken piece of stud 2 raps with a hammer and center punch and it moved, allowing me to extricate it by hand...no drilling or easy out needed...lol.

Just replaced the crappy "Chinesium" metal studs with good 8mm X 1.25 thread by 60 length bolts from Lowes and all is right with the world once again...Took all of a half an hour start to finish

I just had to write a correction here...lol.

This was actually my SECOND bike failure, NOT my FIRST !!!...lol.

The first one was in May of 2020 when the frame of my Huffy Beach cruiser cracked and broke in two places on the center seat post tubing...And no, it was not my "incredible bulk" that caused that failure...lol...It was the two factory drilled holes that Huffy put there for attaching an optional water bottle that just happened to be where my rear motor mount needed to be mounted to on the frame...lol.

My bad for forgetting that less than "shining moment" in motorised bicycle history...lol...DAMIEN

The first one was in May of 2020 when the frame of my Huffy Beach cruiser cracked and broke in two places on the center seat post tubing...And no, it was not my "incredible bulk" that caused that failure...lol...It was the two factory drilled holes that Huffy put there for attaching an optional water bottle that just happened to be where my rear motor mount needed to be mounted to on the frame...lol.

My bad for forgetting that less than "shining moment" in motorised bicycle history...lol...DAMIEN
If you weld the screw holes over, it won't crack there. Just for the future if you ever have another bike like that.

Oops, you told us about that when you switched to the Hyper.

Damien
Approximately how many miles on your bike and how old is it?

Damien
Approximately how many miles on your bike and how old is it?
I built the present bike, Hyper beachcruiser with a Zeda 80 motor in May of 2020, (1 year and 7 months ago now),...it now has just over 1000 miles on it.

My last bike, the Huffy beachcruiser had 6000 miles on it over a 5 year period using a cheap Seeutec motor which still runs and is on a shelf should i ever need it...DAMIEN

Back