My first build, chain problems

senorpyz

Local time
12:33 AM
I finally got my kit from thatsdax.com and mounted it on a Schwinn Del Mar. The bike was less than favorable for putting the kit on, but with some adjustments I got it mounted. I have managed to completely get rid of the chain tensioner because it was causing the chain to derail. However, the chain is still coming off. What are some possible reasons for it falling off?

(the chain tensioner is still on in the pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 369
Are you sere the back sprocket is lined up with the gear? if not maybe you can angle the tire so it feeds and recieves chain at tah right angle. Did you mount the back spocket perfectly. Take the chain off and spin the back wheen on a stand or a upsode down bike and see if it is true.

Can you post a few close up pics on the front and rear mounting.
By the looks from here, the front mount seems "tall".
When you rev a car's engine, you notice the "twist" from side to side.
That same "twist" occurs to on the HT, and it's up, or clockwise depending what side of the bike you are on.
The point is, it may seem with the pics provided, the front mount being "tall" is bending on take off, and causing a slight miss-allignment ?
I know this from my own expirience, had a rear mount "extended" on larger frame and it sheared everything right off the scales.

Last edited:
yes good stuff there in those replies

stand to the back of your MB -- four or five feet

as you line everyTHING up in your eye -- all should look fairly straight

if not -- it's a good THING to work on -- to be in aline is more than fine

I like to ride my MB THING all the time

Walk your bike and look at ur back sprocket. Make sure the chain is almost centred on the sprocket at all times, if it moves like 2mm then u need to adjust the sprocket so its centred. It may be slightly off so the chain is going from side to side and when its going around like 5 times a second it will throw it off. Thats about all it can be. Its got to be centred or it wont work. Just tighten some screws and/or loosen others to get it to be perfectly straight.

Also, if the rear sprocket is not centered on the hub, it will get loose and tight as the wheel spins and may cause it to come off.

Sometimes you need to file the tips/sides of the teeth on a new kit sprocket to keep the chain from climbing on the sprocket.

I had the same problem. What I finally figured is the kit chain is bent in 2"- 3" segments. Some parts are bend inward and some are bent outward. I filed my rear sprocket and that helped but the problem persisted. Today I stopped at Tractor Supply and bought a new chain. You get 10' for 16.98. I cut the chain to the same length as the kit chain (which had stretched over a 1/2 inch in less than 10 miles of riding) installed on my bike and my chain problems are over. My bike seems to have less vibrations and seems more peppy and easier to pedal. It started raining so I cut it short and will try again tomorrow. Best 17.00 I have spent in a while plus I have enough for another chain. I also got rid of the tensionor as I believer that to be a weak link.

my chain broke and so i replaced it,im still useing the tensioner but i might take it off if i can get the chain the correct length.

Back