My first build, looking to get ideas for my project.

my standard front fender warning

keep an eye on all points where your front fender bolts on to your fork. Including the bracket used to mount the fender to the top of the fork.
Failure of this bracket can turn your front fender into a brake....that you don't want. (Imagine flying like superman.....and a Bad landing!)

this was first noted on inexpensive huffy's, but is worth the mention where ever stock bicycle fenders are used. the vibration from an engine can damage/crack/loosen the darnedest things!!

the self-appointed fender cop

I still dig your bikes!!

ride safe!

keep an eye on all points where your front fender bolts on to your fork. Including the bracket used to mount the fender to the top of the fork.
Failure of this bracket can turn your front fender into a brake....that you don't want. (Imagine flying like superman.....and a Bad landing!)

this was first noted on inexpensive huffy's, but is worth the mention where ever stock bicycle fenders are used. the vibration from an engine can damage/crack/loosen the darnedest things!!

the self-appointed fender cop

I still dig your bikes!!

ride safe!

Mine are loctited, but I have noted that they're important to keep an eye on. Thanks for the tip.

Alright, well. My bike doesn't quite seem to have the power that Jon's does! I tried teh aluminum can on the intake manifold trick, and removed the air filter to see if it was clogging it. That didn't do much at all. I rode until the muffler came loose and noticed a different sound from the exhaust. It wasn't until I heard the different sound (the muffler was loose) that I got more power and the bike pulled me up the hill at speed! Is this because my muffler is damaged/clogged in some way? Would the Dax exhaust mod help? This has been bothering me for a few days now, especially since Jon's bike runs so well and mine, well, doesn't. Any input at all would be awesome.

Thanks

So today I did a little experiment. I ran the bike with the exhaust off, completely. And, it ran great! It had the power Jon's does and didn't shut off when idling, in fact it idled a little faster. So now my question is, what does that mean? Is my muffler shot, do I need to lean out the needle on the carb, do I need to do the Dax exhaust mod, or do I need a new exhaust all together.
Jon and I couldn't have built these bikes without you guys and we can't solve this problem without you either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Swap mufflers with jon and see if the problem follows the muffler. If it does, its the muffler. If it doesn't , swap carbs. If its not the muffler or the carb, it has to be electrical. Swap plugs, cdi, etc. Bisect the problem until the symptoms move.

You're in a great position having two bikes to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back