My First Build, My Journey So Far

My journey began late last October when I came across an ad for an engine kit for a bicycle. As a kid I had always dreamed of motorizing a bicycle so when I saw the ad from zoom cycles I thought I have an old Raleigh bike I can throw the motor on and I ordered the kit from Zoom cycles and my journey begins. My kit arrives in a few days and I start my build knowing nothing of these engines or motorized bicycles. Thru lots of research thru this forum and other websites and YouTube that there are different engines and more to it that just installing the kit. Quickly I also find that my original plans of using my old Raleigh not very practical without alot of modifying and machine work. Not to mention Raleigh has it's own thread sizes. So I abandoned my old Raleigh ( I have new plans for it now lol) and went and bought a Columbia Rambler from Walmart. It started of as a single speed cruiser. The first thing I did was completely strip the bike and replace the wheels and bearings. I replaced the headset and bearings with a higher quality Japanese set, I also replaced the bottom bracket with a sealed cartridge unit. I replaced the single speed sprocket with a shimano 5 speed cassette, I want to go with a 7 speed but couldn't get it to fit between the rear for stays. I already had to spread the frame quite a bit to get the 5 speed to fit, I had to replace the rear axle with a longer one without shoulders on the inside so I could adjust the offset on the mag wheels. My zoom cycles engine turned out to be a ZAE50 engine. I have complete taken apart and replaced the bearings with skf 6202, I port matched the case to a 40mm cylinder I got from boygoesfast, port matched the cylinder and ramped and skirted the piston, and installed a jaguar cdi, installed a jackshaft and custom made exhaust and gas tank. Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get it out and break it in and get the carb set up and figure out what carb I'm going to use.
20190328_223442.jpg
20190328_223438.jpg
20190328_223459.jpg
20190328_223523.jpg
20190328_223529.jpg
20190328_223707.jpg
20190328_223734.jpg
20190328_223751.jpg

I have to order that stem and the gt pro series cranks lol. The clamps on your fork are much nicer then the painted ones. Spent some time on the belt sander trying to flatten the tops.
I really like the stem. I bet the cranks are equally as awesome lol. I'm happy with the forks and if you don't include the shipping and duty to Canada they are cheap. $53 Canadian. Think im gonna paint the fork tubes and leave the mounts polished aluminum

I really like the stem. I bet the cranks are equally as awesome lol. I'm happy with the forks and if you don't include the shipping and duty to Canada they are cheap. $53 Canadian. Think im gonna paint the fork tubes and leave the mounts polished aluminum

How will you prep the chrome for paint?
Would it work on a chrome expansion chamber with hi temp paint?

The chrome needs a good scuffing with a scotchbright pad and then a coat of self etching primer that allows the paint to suck really well. Not sure how well it would work on the expansion chamber with the heat. You could try it on the stock muffler first if you still have it and see if it sticks or burns off.

I'm weird, I find the gear shifter the most interesting bit. :geek:
I just haven't seen one like that before. :coffee::)
It's a shimano sl-tx30 it's available in 6 or 7 speeds.
Mine is a 6 and I'm using it with a 5 speed freewheel (shimano mf-z015) and my jackshaft. I like the push button shifting.

Back