My First Build, My Journey So Far

My journey began late last October when I came across an ad for an engine kit for a bicycle. As a kid I had always dreamed of motorizing a bicycle so when I saw the ad from zoom cycles I thought I have an old Raleigh bike I can throw the motor on and I ordered the kit from Zoom cycles and my journey begins. My kit arrives in a few days and I start my build knowing nothing of these engines or motorized bicycles. Thru lots of research thru this forum and other websites and YouTube that there are different engines and more to it that just installing the kit. Quickly I also find that my original plans of using my old Raleigh not very practical without alot of modifying and machine work. Not to mention Raleigh has it's own thread sizes. So I abandoned my old Raleigh ( I have new plans for it now lol) and went and bought a Columbia Rambler from Walmart. It started of as a single speed cruiser. The first thing I did was completely strip the bike and replace the wheels and bearings. I replaced the headset and bearings with a higher quality Japanese set, I also replaced the bottom bracket with a sealed cartridge unit. I replaced the single speed sprocket with a shimano 5 speed cassette, I want to go with a 7 speed but couldn't get it to fit between the rear for stays. I already had to spread the frame quite a bit to get the 5 speed to fit, I had to replace the rear axle with a longer one without shoulders on the inside so I could adjust the offset on the mag wheels. My zoom cycles engine turned out to be a ZAE50 engine. I have complete taken apart and replaced the bearings with skf 6202, I port matched the case to a 40mm cylinder I got from boygoesfast, port matched the cylinder and ramped and skirted the piston, and installed a jaguar cdi, installed a jackshaft and custom made exhaust and gas tank. Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get it out and break it in and get the carb set up and figure out what carb I'm going to use.
20190328_223442.jpg
20190328_223438.jpg
20190328_223459.jpg
20190328_223523.jpg
20190328_223529.jpg
20190328_223707.jpg
20190328_223734.jpg
20190328_223751.jpg

That's one great-looking ride, and I really like how you did your homework and thinking before you put it all together. Looks clean and solid!

I think you'll be plenty fine with the 5-speed, no need to ever look forlornly at the 7-speed you could have had. If you _really_ wanted more gear range to play with, you could get crazy and put a 5-speed cassette on a 3-speed hub! I'm pretty sure you'll be fine tho (y)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your old Raleigh! I miss my own.

Thanks to everyone, this forum definitely helped me in figuring out what to do and how to do it. I was able to get it out yesterday for a test drive. What a blast!!!! Tons of fun. Definately need to re jet the carb as it's not getting nearly enough fuel. The shift kit works awesome. 5 speeds definately seems to be more than enough. 50 Kmh in 3rd was plenty fast enough for me. I'm hoping for some more nice weather so I can get it dialed in. I'm just using the stock carb for now. I have a runtong carb and a 21mm oko carb but need to make up some intakes to get them to fit. Any suggestions as to what carb works better. The stock carb seems to work well right now other than it needs a bigger jet. Thanks again for the compliments and help.

I agree very nicely done. :)👏
Which freewheel crankset is that? 🧐
Thanks. The crank set is a sealed bottom bracket. 68mm x 126mm. I cheaped out and used the non sbp Jack shaft kit. It seems to work just fine. The outside ring gear is a 36 tooth dished sprocket that came on my mag wheel. The inside ring gear is a 40 tooth ring gear I scavenged off an old Raleigh 10 speed crank and attached to another 36 tooth sprocket. The multi speed chain going to the 5 speed shimano freewheel fits extremely well and aligns great using this set up.

I love the shifter bikes, and man that is a real nice one. I'm guessing from the name GreasyChris and the product of your first bike build you are no stranger to turning wrenches. Have you noticed any heat issues? I only ask because I have heard of this with the poo poo pipes having a restricted flow. Never had one myself, but I got this from a real reliable source so I thought I would give you a heads up on something to keep a eye on. Great build.

Thanks Gary. Ya I'm no stranger to turning wrenches. I've been a licensed mechanic for 20 some years. I'm learning lots about 2 strokes this past winter. The pipe was hot yesterday when I had it out but with the carb fully maxed it was still running really lean so once I get the getting sorted out I'll let you know more about the pipe. The front half is a poo poo pipe and the expansion pipe is from a 49cc pocket bike. Sounds good and isnt crazy loud.

Thanks Gary. Ya I'm no stranger to turning wrenches. I've been a licensed mechanic for 20 some years. I'm learning lots about 2 strokes this past winter. The pipe was hot yesterday when I had it out but with the carb fully maxed it was still running really lean so once I get the getting sorted out I'll let you know more about the pipe. The front half is a poo poo pipe and the expansion pipe is from a 49cc pocket bike. Sounds good and isnt crazy loud.
More than welcome bro. That's a nice bike. StreetRyderz had a post a while about the restriction of the flange where the flex pipe joins causing higher than norm. engine temps, so I thought I'd pass it on. One other thing I have learned from the shifter builds is the free wheels take a lot of use. I had the cheaper one on my first one and they went pretty quickly. Went through a few, then went to the HD one. Had one of those go bad but it was a factory error in assembly, and haven't had any issues with the HD freewheels from SBP since.

Back