My first build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Maxvision, Aug 30, 2009.

  1. Maxvision

    Maxvision New Member

    I bought the motor and frame from a guy that said it couldnt be done...$250 for new stretch cruiser and motor, how could I say no. Totally hooked on MBs now...

    Welded on motor mounts, custom built chain rollers so chain cleared the frame. Chain guard lower bolt a bit rough in roller picture, have since fixed that.

    Hurricane1.jpg motormounts.jpg rollersfrontlow.jpg

  2. bikeman6969

    bikeman6969 Member

    No such word as cant nice job
  3. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    Well, ain't that nice?

    Good job!
  4. lordoflightaz

    lordoflightaz Member

    Nice! How about one more pic showing the whole left side with that chain tensioner setup.
  5. Maxvision

    Maxvision New Member

    You asked for it

    Now you got it...

  6. Dilly Bar Rob

    Dilly Bar Rob Member

    Very nice first build! :cool: I'd ride that THING :tt1:

    I think welding the mounts on opposed to rigging up custom brackets is the way to go if there are mounting issues, no worries about anything moving on you or coming loose down the road. + it makes the build look that much more professional.

    Looks like figuring out the chain routing took some thought, good work. I would maybe keep an eye on that top roller, it will have to put up with a lot of stress, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

    Did you have the rollers machined or did you buy them? They look like another good candidate to replace the one that comes in the kit...:idea:
  7. AussieJester

    AussieJester Member

    Nice ride buddy well done...

    Enjoy and ride safely

  8. Maxvision

    Maxvision New Member

    Thank you for the compliment Dilly Bar Rob. As for the welded mounts, I'm a handyman by profession so I have lots of tools, one being an oxy-acetylene torch kit. Would have rather done it with an electric welder but sometimes you just use what you have.

    Yes, the chain routing did take some though. Pondered it for a week then while rooting around in my pile of nuts, bolts, screws and such I came across a threaded rod coupling nut, then...Voila!...and epiphany moment. Hey, I thought, I could use these and some bolts and make adjusting chain rollers.

    I had to weld on a thicker plate where the kickstand plate was and yes, the stress on the top roller was so much that I noticed some cracking and had to beef up the welding on that a bit.

    The roller wheels are skateboard wheels. I mounted them in a drill press and turned them down like you would on a wood lathe. Have put quite a few miles on them and they don't seem any worse for wear.

    I've added to this post a CAD drawing of the roller assembly and a better picture for ya. Thanks again for the compliment. You made my day :grin5:

    rollerdiagram.jpg rollerstopfront.jpg

    P.S. If you are curious about how I made the custom shaped tank, here's a little drawing of that too. Spent a few years in the surfing business. Used fiberglassing skills to do it.

    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009