My First Build

I've been watching my younger brother tool around on his motorized bike for a couple years. My wife and son had visit to grandma's in San Diego coming up so I figured it would be a good time to give it a go. I'm a big guy (6'4", 285lbs) so this isn't the right toy to try to set a speed record on, but I figured I could put together a fun cruiser for pretty cheap.

I had an original budget of $300... but after carefully considering the potential safety issues of the bike, I decided on upgrading to a hub-sprocket setup vs the rag joint and I was none-too-thrilled with the stock tensioner (even the 4-bolt version). I had images of the damn thing falling in to my spokes running through my head and decided an arch-type tensioner was in order.

As for the bike itself... I knew I wanted to go "all new". I managed to pick up a Kent "Sea Change" (where in the heck they came up with that name is beyond me) at the local Wally World on clearance for ... get this ... $74.50. I'd gone in to pick up a Huffy Cranbrook for $169.00... yeah... my mind was changed.

One thing I didn't like about both the Cranbrook and this Sea Change was the "coaster brake" only. I figured the coaster brake isn't that big of a deal so much as the lack of a front brake is. So I decided to pick up a set of handbrakes... next upgrade will be a single pull two-brake setup... hitting that front brake AND the clutch level is a little... tricky.

In any case... I've only put about 3-4 miles on her thus far... still breaking it in.

Here is a shot of the result... total outlay... approximately $375.00 plus perhaps $10.00 worth of over-inflated priced bolts...nuts...washers... at the local Tru-Value Hardware.

:D
Tang1.jpg

Oh.... i also live almost 3000 feet up. I figured I would try to adjust the needle. I moved from the center (3) location more toward the top to the (2) location leaning out the carb a bit. I noticed (A) the motor ran WORSE when it was first fired up... and (B) it ran much smoother than it ran before once it warms up. Much less dieseling at lower speeds (1/2-2/3 throttle)...

Oh.... i also live almost 3000 feet up. I figured I would try to adjust the needle. I moved from the center (3) location more toward the top to the (2) location leaning out the carb a bit. I noticed (A) the motor ran WORSE when it was first fired up... and (B) it ran much smoother than it ran before once it warms up. Much less dieseling at lower speeds (1/2-2/3 throttle)...
If its of any help to you at all, Im at a 4500 ft level here in NM...My C clip is at the very top of the needle for the altitude...My attitude is a whole other problem altogether...lol...lol.

the motor ran WORSE when it was first fired up
You may need to use more choke for the first minute or so.

You may want to replace the flimsy kickstand that comes with these bikes, they're not up to supporting the weight with the motor, and always loosen up. I use this type, it clamps solidly to the frame and holds the weight well ,and looks pretty good. The center stands are also nice, when I first built my bike it almost fell over a few times due to that little stand.

Attachments

• kickstand.jpg
    kickstand.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 100
You may want to replace the flimsy kickstand that comes with these bikes, they're not up to supporting the weight with the motor, and always loosen up. I use this type, it clamps solidly to the frame and holds the weight well ,and looks pretty good. The center stands are also nice, when I first built my bike it almost fell over a few times due to that little stand.
I have used this same stand on two different bikes for about 7 years now and it has never failed on my 80 pounds of bike...lol.

Here is a pic of my present bike build uding this stand.

IMG_0353.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Is that stand attached to the bike? I assume it kicks back when in the raised position? That's sort of cool! EDIT: After looking at the amazon listing ... it seems somewhat awkward to put up and to put in to place? Strange that both sides would "fold" and then tuck under one side. I sort of like it but it does looks like it may be difficult to "use". How hard is it to set the bike up and take down, etc?

Here are a couple more older photos I found of the project... from when I picked up the bike at the beginning. I went in to pick up a $167.00 Cranbrook. I left having paid half that cost... (note: this was after I'd already removed all the stickers... I probably should have taken a photo pre-removal but managed not to. The name of the bike is "Sea Change". Who in the heck comes up with these names? Sea Change?!? What in the heck is that... and what does that have to do with a Beach Cruiser? :D

MOTORBIKE1.jpg

MOTORBIKE2.jpg

...anyone have any recommendation for a solid well-built back "rack" that is suitable for motorbike use? That is one thing about certain Huffy cruisers I sort of dig... the rack built in to the frame.

Is the dieseling you are talking about the 4-stroking? I always thought dieseling was the engine still running after you shut it off. If you are 4-stroking that could be caused by a rich fuel mixture.

As for a bike rack for a car? Look for the weight rating. I could only assume that it would have to be receiver mounted and costs more than your bike. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How hard is it to set the bike up and take down, etc?
Its held on by one 2" king pin type bolt as the description in the ad I gave the URL for tells you...Took me less than a minute to put on even with my old arthritic 67 year old hands and fingers...lol.

Not difficult to use at all...If you you know how to use a kick stand, this works the same way, it automatically opens and closes when you use it just like a kick stand...No PHD required...lol.

The name of the bike is "Sea Change". Who in the heck comes up with these names? Sea Change?!? What in the heck is that... and what does that have to do with a Beach Cruiser? :D
Kent is the bicycle manufacturer "who" that came up with the name for this model of their bikes...lol.

Sea Change has the word Sea in it which is what a Beach is situated upon, Hence its a Beach Cruiser...lol.

Nice craftsmanship on putting the bike together, looks sweet. Just my opinion but your seat looks as high or higher than the bars. At 6ft4 if you raise the bars higher you might be in a more upright riding position and better for longer rides. Welcome to the forum!

Back