My First Build

I've been watching my younger brother tool around on his motorized bike for a couple years. My wife and son had visit to grandma's in San Diego coming up so I figured it would be a good time to give it a go. I'm a big guy (6'4", 285lbs) so this isn't the right toy to try to set a speed record on, but I figured I could put together a fun cruiser for pretty cheap.

I had an original budget of $300... but after carefully considering the potential safety issues of the bike, I decided on upgrading to a hub-sprocket setup vs the rag joint and I was none-too-thrilled with the stock tensioner (even the 4-bolt version). I had images of the damn thing falling in to my spokes running through my head and decided an arch-type tensioner was in order.

As for the bike itself... I knew I wanted to go "all new". I managed to pick up a Kent "Sea Change" (where in the heck they came up with that name is beyond me) at the local Wally World on clearance for ... get this ... $74.50. I'd gone in to pick up a Huffy Cranbrook for $169.00... yeah... my mind was changed.

One thing I didn't like about both the Cranbrook and this Sea Change was the "coaster brake" only. I figured the coaster brake isn't that big of a deal so much as the lack of a front brake is. So I decided to pick up a set of handbrakes... next upgrade will be a single pull two-brake setup... hitting that front brake AND the clutch level is a little... tricky.

In any case... I've only put about 3-4 miles on her thus far... still breaking it in.

Here is a shot of the result... total outlay... approximately $375.00 plus perhaps $10.00 worth of over-inflated priced bolts...nuts...washers... at the local Tru-Value Hardware.

:D
Tang1.jpg

Or not, who was the seller? I've done a couple 49cc that look the same as that.
It's not a 49cc... it did 30+ mph stock (and I'm 285lbs).

This is the kit:

It's not a 49cc... it did 30+ mph stock (and I'm 285lbs).

This is the kit:

I built this little bike with 20" wheels and a 49cc, it would haul my ars up any hill around here, and it was stock out of the box.

I finally 'upgraded' from the tiny 'RUNWELL' branded spark plug to a NGK BR6HS plug. I wasn't really expecting much out of it and I wasn't disappointed. I noticed exactly ... nothing ... different from the 'RUNWELL'. That said.. I suspect the plug will last longer ... and will take more abuse ... so it was worth the three bucks and change to pick it up.

Also... I 'might' notice better top end performance once I get this carb dialed in... though I doubt it... and again, I suspect I won't be disappointed.

Oh, and this is how the bike currently looks. Since the last photo of the bike back on page 1, I've...

Added an analog speedometer... then removed it (not accurate at all).
Added a digital speedometer.
Added a tool kit to the handlebars.
Added a light to the front and rear.
Swapped over to a dual-pull lever for both front and back brakes.
Swapper out bars for straight bars.
Swapped out the stock exhaust for a "Speed Demon" exhaust.
Updated air filter.
Straight/short intake manifold.
Mirrors.
New Seat

I think that's about it... ish.

Tang5.jpg

To do: Dual kick-stand, luggage rack, updated back rim (at some point). Oh... and I need to shorten my front brake and rear bake cables as well as my clutch cable. I need to also shorten my throttle cable but I'm not thinking that's going to happen... I assume I can buy a shorter one? Going from the stock Kent "Beach Cruiser" bars to the straight bars has taken a good 5" or so off the needed lengths...

TANG6.jpg

Here is a current picture as of August 25th, 2022...

Since the last photo above, I've...

• Replaced the rear rim with a Grubee HD Rim, and the front rim was replaced with a wider front rim I had on hand.
I did go with a 44t sprocket for the Gubee HD Rim vs the 40t sprocket that was on it. This bike will eventually go to my son and the 44t sprocket keeps the speed down a hair.
• Replaced the stock tires with some generic "Duro Flame" tires along with a couple of quality Continental steel stem tubes.
• Added a tachometer/temperature computer.

I would still like to eventually replace the kickstand (that still works fine) with a dual leg model. I also have some Kevlar patches on order to stop the wear I am getting from the chain bouncing around my chainstay. I would also like to add a luggage rack to make the bike useful for something other than just toying around with. After that... done.

Current stats:

With the 40t sprocket i maxed out at 33.7mph...

With the 44t sprocket I max out at 30.2mph @ just over 7000rpm. (I didn't have the tach at the time to measure the 40t engine speed).

I've noticed I get more performance at top end if I run at about 85%-90% throttle. If I max out the throttle it'll take her in to 4-strokeville... if I keep it at 85%-90% it smooths out nicely...

Now... how long do y'all think I can run at 7000RPM safely? Currently I hit that speed and then drop back almost immediately.

I think I've found the configuration I'm going to go with for the partial SBP pipe I acquired...

TANGSBP1.jpg

TANGSBP2.jpg

It's just "fitted" currently... being I have no way to weld... I'm gunna JB Weld that bad boy (high temp variety of course)... only 3 spots... not bad.

Back