My first CUSTOM build

Ok, so I see everyone building their bike I figured I'd start my own build thread in hopes that I can get some good feedback and if anything ideas on where to go with everything. Here is a pic of the jig I setup and the bike sitting in roughly the place it will stand once done. This is a one off build and will be built with chromoly tubing, a pit bike engine, and a jackshaft assembly similar to what I have seen on the motopeds.com build and sickbikeparts jackshaft setup. What I have on order that should be here in a few days: exhaust, handle bars, sprockets for wheel and jack shaft, and disk brakes. What I have now: head tube, wheels and tires, engine, seat, track ends, throttle, carb, (air filter on order). What was custom made: the rear hub which is a dual disk rear from Phil Woods..This will give me disk brakes and bolt holes for the sprocket on either side of the hub. Tires are Hookworms and Halo SAS rims with a Halo Spin doctor from hub...using a Manitou Circus front fork(really stout little fork for the price)..Using a Cane Creek headset and the head tube is a 44mm 4130 tube from paragon machine works. Whats needed: tubing(measurments for tubing), 3/4" shaft for sprockets to ride on, a custom made bottom bracket or I might decide to go with SBP wide bottom bracket setup but not sure if will be wide enough for what I need(if anyone has exact measurements of how wide it is after pedals installed that would be awesome)

Now let me know your feedback..PLEASE!! 20131229_193439.jpg

More pics

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 385
  • IMAG0129.jpg
    IMAG0129.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 402
  • IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 404
  • IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 392
  • IMAG0126.jpg
    IMAG0126.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 395
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 399
Ok, this is not a pic post but more of a question post...I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on what you guys thought of the build so far. Would it be a frame you would want to buy if the price was right and thoughts on anything you would of liked differently so far...I am thinking of making a frame kit out of this but obviously I need to get the bike fully functional before I can do that, I understand this. Also, I'm hoping to have the chain tensioners for the engine side and pedals done tonight. The only things left to get this really moving is the hub for jackshaft which will take a good day or two to machine only because I'm doing this all myself and I don't want to pay someone to do something I can do myself and time to machine a solid round piece of aluminum to spec. The brake cables and throttle cables I currently have just don't have any of it on obviously because there are probably a few more little tabs I want to weld to frame for the possibility of a battery mount and for cables from the engine to mount to such as the cdi and voltage regulator and so forth. Then there is the powder coating that will be needed. As far as the gas tank goes it will be a fully custom aluminum tank but that will honestly be the very last thing because i want everything bolted in place so that I have the right size setup for where or how the tank will sit. Unfortunately I haven't thought that far ahead on what it will look like but it will not be some peanut tank. I've spent way to much money on this prototype to skimp on anything now. Ok now that I've gotten a little off track for why I email put this reply us lets get back to the questions I can hopefully get answered from you guys...What do you guys think so far? Would it be something you would buy as a kit? Thoughts on engine being used and look of the bike? Also, if you guys have any questions for me please don't be afraid to ask I'm open for just about anything.

I would probably buy a naked frame if it was around $300 and I would definitely be interested in a 29er version of the frame as well. That probably isn't much for all the time that goes into making them but I wouldn't want to spend too much money into a motorized bike project, one of the greatest things about these bikes is for $600 you can have a really nice tricked out bike and if the frame is going to be really expensive it defeats the point.

If I were to just do frame the material cost that much alone but if it was made out of Dom tubing I might be able to manage that..it wouldn't come with jack shaft or anything it would literally be bare frame

I would be fine with a bare frame, a jackshaft would be easy to fabricate or I could simply use it like a standard china kit without the jackshaft. I know $300 is a bit of a lowball but in my eyes if it were any more I would just get a motoped because of the advantages of a full suspension, not to mention the cost of a completed build with an expensive frame would be on par or above the cost of a used small motorcycle in good condition.

If you made a version of the frame with footpegs and maybe if it isn't too much work supports for some kind of motorcycle seat I would pay a lot more because I could probably have it registered as a custom motorcycle an be able to ride the streets legally while enjoying unheard of fuel mileage and cheap/easy maintenance. A fat tire version would also be interesting, it would definitely require a jackshaft though.

I made this a non full suspension because it is a street only bike..the motoped is a nice ride no doubt but this bike isn't done so can't really get a good feel of final rig..the gas tank is not going to be a peanut tank or plastic dirt bike tank..in all honesty I like the cruiser ride motoped is building but not a big fan of the dirt bike look..and I guarantee motoped bikes will cost more pretty soon..

I'm also in the works of building a hub that has mounts on both sides like the motoped hub but will have two different spindles so that one can use it with the motoped bike or use it with a standard bike that has a 135mm drop out spacing..but it will be heavy duty..

it's not my style but it seems to be a well built and solid design. I'd probably recommend it to someone looking for this sort of thing.

Back