My first Friction bike kit?

tythebuilder

Local time
8:06 PM
Hi, Im on my first friction bike kit and all is going pretty well except but it guzzles gas like crazy. I mean maybe 11 Km a liter!!! Ive been through 4 half liter tanks but I think the problem might be that I'm using a 591ml water bottle as my gas tank and I drilled a bit big holes in it to put my tubes in and theres gaps that let air in is this a problem. Does the gas tank need to be air sealed or else it will eats allot of gas because it lets more air in? This is the Engine: http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Engine_49cc_2_Stroke_no_electric_start_X7_p/x7en302482.htm

Attachments

• IMG_0003[2].jpg
    IMG_0003[2].jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
Your set-up did give me a chuckle. Don't be offended please.
If your fuel supply is not leaking (hard to believe is isn't) there is a major mixture (rich) error in the motor and / or there is amazing drag somewhere in the drivetrain.

thanks man but thats all i got until i find a place here that sell proper tanks but my engine seems to run fine and there is not much drag it is a friction drive kit and it only leaks when it full and i go on bumps. Then WTF why do i get like 12 kilometer off a liter of gas ????

like i said before make sure your fuel/air screw is adjusted so it aint running too rich, and also tyler you do know since your motor is brand new, there is tons of compression going on which will make it eat more gas

That has to be leaking like crazy. See if a scrap lawnmower type tank can be adapted.

leaking anywhere in the tank/hoses won't necessarily seem as if it's major, but, remember - it's gasoline we're talking about here - it evaporates quickly, especially at speed. If it seems damp when you arrive, it means that it probably leaked a lot... You go over bumps all the time...

Also, a soda bottle fuel tank is dangerous. (I'm talking STUPID dangerous, not 'brave' dangerous..) I really don't want to hear about an incident in Toronto like the one in Australia, where MB'ers died, at least in part due to burns they suffered when they had an accident, and their leaking tank caught fire...

Think about it - in ANY sort of accident that involves your 'tank,' where is the fuel in that 'tank' probably going to end up??? sprayed around, over the bike, the running engine... and you. Second and third degree burns aren't a pretty thing. And, if the fuel system is leaking fuel to begin with, a passing driver in a car could toss out a cigarette butt and toast you.

Last edited:
My first comment is that loquin is correct on both counts. Trying to establish fuel mileage with your tank is like trying to use a tea strainer as a measuring cup.

Second point is the engine you have is a fuel hog. I have one just like it and it has great power but not so good economy. You may be able to improve it somewhat by leaning the fuel / air ratio but you can also destroy the engine if you get too lean.

Ain't MBs just peachy!

leaking anywhere in the tank/hoses won't necessarily seem as if it's major, but, remember - it's gasoline we're talking about here - it evaporates quickly, especially at speed. If it seems damp when you arrive, it means that it probably leaked a lot... You go over bumps all the time...

Also, a soda bottle fuel tank is dangerous. (I'm talking STUPID dangerous, not 'brave' dangerous..) I really don't want to hear about an incident in Toronto like the one in Australia, where MB'ers died, at least in part due to burns they suffered when they had an accident, and their leaking tank caught fire...

Think about it - in ANY sort of accident that involves your 'tank,' where is the fuel in that 'tank' probably going to end up??? sprayed around, over the bike, the running engine... and you. Second and third degree burns aren't a pretty thing. And, if the fuel system is leaking fuel to begin with, a passing driver in a car could toss out a cigarette butt and toast you.

Thank you very much Loquin for caring for my safety, and all have you both know I now am using a HT tank from an old kit and it works fairly well no leaks and MPG is quite good not the best but like you said thats just the engine lol. Thank you both for your concern. :D

Hawaii Ed and I were riding down the highway, and I was in lead. All of a sudden, Ed got my attention and motioned for me to pull over. After stopping, I noticed that the cap on my 48-ounce Goped fuel tank was off, so I twisted it back onto the tank.

Hawaii Ed said there was a HUGE vapor cloud of gas/air mixture following very closely behind my bike.

Coulda gone...KA-BOOM!!!:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back