my first gebe build

thanks hive and augi,

the engine isn't that far of vertical, i think the picture does make it look like its leaning of the back, its hooked up to the second hole from the front on the gebe strap.

waking up slowly, so am off too finish the side reinforcement straps and get the bike put back together.

ok guys i need help,

the last couple of rides i had noticed a bell ringing noise coming from the engine, at first i thought it was just a loose washer on a bolt, i took the clutch assembly off today and found the problem. When the engine is idling the noise is there but once the throttle is engaged the noise disappears.

The bell noise is from the gebe clutch unit , the internal metal cup/circle that engages the clutch, i pinged it lighty with a screwdriver and sure enough its the same noise. I cleaned out what carbon buildup was in there and reattached to the engine but the noise is still there with the engine just ticking over.

Should i be concerned with the noise or is it just part of the breakin process and will disappear, soon i hope

I need help on this one thanks guys.......

I'd be interested in what this noise is also. I have a knock-off Tanaka 2-stroke... and the sound is like some kinda metal pinging only when idling, but disappears as soon as you start going.

An older, more mechanical friend of mine said he thought it was coming from the clutch housing area. He also said it wasn't a "bad" sound, and nothing unusual for 2-strokes.

I hope he is right, but I wish I could tone that noise down a bit.

ok, i had pm augi too find out the problem and it was nothing too major to worry about.

I had replaced my throttle cable about 2 to3 weeks ago, and because of the different config, compared to when it was shipped the engine was idiling at a slightly higher rev,
all i had too do was turn the idle screw one or two revolutions and the noise disappered.

It was nothing too major to worry about, just the clutch plates touching the inside of the gebe clutch drum when it was idiling, the noise would have eventually disappeared but the bells, the bells ........

my first big bo-boo

well this morning i had my first major mishap,

i was in the local mountains riding black tar, making my way back to the pickup truck when i went to change gear and pop the chain fell of between the rear cassette and spokes...

What a nightmare, the chain managed to pull 3 of the 12 guage spokes straight out of the rim and it took me about 20 mins to get the wheel turning again just to wobble it back to the truck. The wheel was store bought its a good solid rig from wheel master sells for around $45 from the local store.

so my two mistakes - after installing the new wheel i didnt re-align the rear derailler to the new cassette and so when i went to change into my last large rear cog it slipped off, it probably could happen at the smallest gear too but that would be a lot less damage...

I didnt put on a spoke protective cover ( the plastic ring that sits between the cassette and spokes) before mounting the cassette, i told the guy at the store what had happened and it will be easy enough to slip a genric one on before i mount my new wheel.

Went to the store after lunch, but they had none in stock,but it only takes 2 to 3 days for them to get them in so should be motoring again by the weekend.

the foolish things we do !!!!

(well its going to be four new parts, sorry honey!!!)

Last edited:
Yeah Vegaspaddy, I've already been there. It happened to me when I was downshifting very quickly to stop and get off my bike. The chain managed to wedge it'self between the 1st gear sprocket, and the spokes. I was lucky though....Was almost stopped when it happened, but it took me about 15-20 minutes of frustration, some foul language, and some greasy black fingers lol, to get the chain out of there. I have both limit screws dialed in, but it still happened. Could have been a little stick or something that threw the chain...dunno. I still don't have a spoke protector, but need to get one ASAP. Definitely a good suggestion. ;)

wheel spokes

here are some snaps of what damage a chain can do... this is the heavy duty 26 inch steel wheel with 105 guage spokes

the $4 chain guard should help prevent future mishaps

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Attachments

• tn_PICT0510.JPG
    tn_PICT0510.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 401
  • tn_PICT0511.JPG
    tn_PICT0511.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 424
  • tn_PICT0513.JPG
    tn_PICT0513.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 378