My first roadside repair

H

HoughMade

I was out for yet another shakedown ride today (want a few more before I tear down for paint). About 2 miles from home, I heard: tink, tink, tink- the distinctive sound of metal bouncing on pavement....before it could really register, tink, tink, tink, again. Nothing seemed wrong, but I pulled off, and went back.

Lucky me- I found all the parts of my springer fork- the spring bolt (about 3/8" x 5") unscrewed itself and it, the rubber bumper and end cap had come off. If you are familiar with the single spring "Schwinn" type springer fork, you know what I mean. The spring did not fall out- if it had at speed- that would have been very bad. I got out my trusty tool roll (I will post pics of it at some point), the proper sized wrench, and screwed the bolt and parts back on.

This initially put a damper on my planned longer ride, but without a spirit of adventure- I would not have even built the bike. Off I went again with my eye on the bolt. 8 miles later, it had almost worked its way out again, so I pulled over are tightened it back up and made it the rest of the way home without any trouble.

Here's what I am going to do- the bolt screws into a thick plate and uses no nut- it will now. I am going to get a nylon lock nut for the end of the bolt and using loctite on it as well. All that nut has to do is act a a jam nut and keep the bolt from coming out and I think between it being a jam nut, the nylon lock and the loctite, that should do it.

All in all, it was a very nice 16 mile ride- this is why I am doing the shakedown rides Nothing else loosened up and the Honda is running smooth.

Along the way on my ride (it seems everyone on 2 wheels was out on Sunday), I got the nod from a scooter rider and 2 Harley riders revved their engines at me. I don't know what that means- are they showing me how much power they have compared to me? (no duh, believe it or not, I can afford the Harley of my choice- I don't want one). Or does that mean something else?

I also passed a field where RC airplane nuts (a term of endearment) fly their wonderful creations. For the few moments I motored by, I got the looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Along the way on my ride (it seems everyone on 2 wheels was out on Sunday), I got the nod from a scooter rider and 2 Harley riders revved their engines at me. I don't know what that means- are they showing me how much power they have compared to me? (no duh, believe it or not, I can afford the harley of m choice- I don't want one). Or does that mean something else?

I also passed a field where RC airplane nuts (a term of endearment) fly their wonderful creations. For the few moments I motored by, I got the looks.

honestly it probably depends on the rider. I would venture to guess that it was their way of showing approval. After all, it certainly looks a lot like the bike that started it all for them back in 1903. You gotta respect that.

Hey, side note- have you done anything with the red cover on your honda engine? Were you going to paint it, or maybe put something else there?

honestly it probably depends on the rider. I would venture to guess that it was their way of showing approval. After all, it certainly looks a lot like the bike that started it all for them back in 1903. You gotta respect that.

Hey, side note- have you done anything with the red cover on your honda engine? Were you going to paint it, or maybe put something else there?

I haven't done anything with it yet- but my plan is to smooth it to remove the grain and paint it the color of the tank...whatever color that ends up being (leaning towards and early Harley light gray). The pull start cover will retain its grain and be painted to mimic cast iron- to tell the truth, if that looks good, I may make the whole engine cover the cast iron look. A MBc round sticker will be in the middle of the starter cover.

It's never done- I found a sort of half sphere shapped steel breather cap for a Ford tractor which is going to be my new air cleaner- you don't get much more old school than a part off an old Ford tractor.

"Lock" equals a good thing...

Here's what I am going to do- the bolt screws into a thick plate and uses no nut- it will now. I am going to get a nylon lock nut for the end of the bolt and using loctite on it as well. All that nut has to do is act a a jam nut and keep the bolt from coming out and I think between it being a jam nut, the nylon lock and the loctite, that should do it.

Yeah, for these bikes, any hardware with the word "lock" is my new best friend. Along with locknuts and loctite, I usually throw a lockwasher on there, too!

Otherwise I think I'd be pulling over for roadside repairs a LOT more often than I care to already! :)

Back