My First Whizzer

Skeezer

Local time
2:51 PM
New guy here. I picked this up yesterday. The seller thought it was a 2005. I don't think so. Engine number is WME 00xxxx. I need to learn a lot about this and what I have to do to make it reliable.

Welcome Skeezer,
Not a Whizzer production bike but someones homemade clone. What motor ya got a WC-1 or a NE-5?
NE-5 came out in 2005. WC-1 is from 1999 - 2004. He might of called it a 2005 cause the motor is a NE-5
It kinda looks like a NE-5 in your pic. A side view pic of the cylinder will tell us.

Last edited:
I see the bike is not using the electrical wiring harness for lights and stuff. It's only hooked up with a basic wire harness.
With a different wiring harness and hand controls you can run head light working stop tail light a horn and turn signals off your stator.
Looks like the guy ya bought it from tried to make it look like a Vintage Whizzer from the 1940s

Reliable, were gonna have to chip away at that. I don't know if the previous owner made any upgrades.
Were gonna have to check the valve lifters. (might need new ones) Set the valve lash, maybe do a valve job or at least lap em. Deck the cyl and resurface the head, use a copper head gasket, set the crankshaft end play, put a crankcase air oil separator (C.A.O.S.) breather on your crankcase vent hose or add a crankcase vent hose depending on which motor ya got.
What ya gotta do to make it reliable depends on all this stuff and depending on how it runs. Dose your bike even start? I see a spedo, How many miles on the bike?

Last edited:
After communicating with several experts, it appears that I have a 1998 Whizzer WC1 with a NE5 top end. I added the aluminum intake and 20 mm carb from Paul Frey. The speedo had 476 miles on it when I got it but the cable was broken. I have since replaced it and have put 150 miles on it. I get 30 to 35 mph on the flats. Cylinder head temperature can be kept under 300 on flat ground. On flat ground also, I can get here to take off from a dead stop with the auto clutch. It has Quenton's breather mod. I don't know what they call the type of belt it has but it seems to work OK.

I'm trying to learn more every day. I'm considering buying a current engine to replace the existing one while I tinker with it OR have the new engine updated for performance and reliability. Are the current engines "as good" as the NE5s? Any input will be appreciated.

Skeezer

After communicating with several experts, it appears that I have a 1998 Whizzer WC1 with a NE5 top end. I added the aluminum intake and 20 mm carb from Paul Frey. The speedo had 476 miles on it when I got it but the cable was broken. I have since replaced it and have put 150 miles on it. I get 30 to 35 mph on the flats. Cylinder head temperature can be kept under 300 on flat ground. On flat ground also, I can get here to take off from a dead stop with the auto clutch. It has Quenton's breather mod. I don't know what they call the type of belt it has but it seems to work OK.

I'm trying to learn more every day. I'm considering buying a current engine to replace the existing one while I tinker with it OR have the new engine updated for performance and reliability. Are the current engines "as good" as the NE5s? Any input will be appreciated.

Skeezer
Your Engine should be fine to up grade and make more reliable and go faster. Shave .060"th off the head install a Copper Head gasket. I bet you see 40mph+ Since your engine was upgraded to a NE-5 cyl It Probably got the High lift cam too.

Current engines from Cruiser M/B Whizzer Paul. The top end is not as good as the NE-5
The new Cruzzer motor 2014 - 2020 the valve seats are pressed in place
The 1999-2004 WC-1 had valve seats that were pressed in place and came loose within 500 miles.
The 2005-2007 NE-5 had Valve seats that were cast in place when the Cyl was made and did not come loose.

Paul told me about 6 months ago Taiwan went back to putting in a Valve cassette in the Cyl which is worse than everything else.
This was tried in 2008 and was a failure no body liked it. It leaks.

The only good thing I can say about the new Cruzzer Motor is that the bottom end is very good and it comes with a 1 year warranty.
Paul will send ya another CYL if the valve seats fail and will honor the warranty.

Skeezer
You can always send your motor to Quenton and ask him to make it reliable and a 50MPH Whizzer If ya got the $$$
Or ya can Send your motor to http://pbseng.com/whizzer/ and have a 70 mph Whizzer with their OHV conversion $$$$
But ya should probably make your self a 40mph+ Whizzer and save some $

Back