My fix for chain tensioneer

lucas

Local time
10:51 AM
So i was tired of chewing thru those cheep plastic kit wheels.

I dissasembled the rear derailer from a parts bike. threaded the rivited fixed bolt tha hold the derailer together to 3/8. put two nuts on the end to make sure it won't move. i have ridin alomst 200 miles with this fix and havent had an issuse yet. hope this helps.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 398
Thanks. addss little bit noise as the chain rides over. I live in RI and we have potholes that will swallow your bike. the smaller ones just like to bounce your chain off the sprocket. it also eliminated any side to side movement of the chain.

Good work!

I have done something similar, but on the pedal side chain of a single speed, had some doubts of how much stress the derailleur wheels can take (a concern while starting the bike as the slac side turns into the tension side).

Do you have a spring in there or is it "hard" mounted?

Its hard mounted. i set it for a slight bit of play. but not enogh so that the chain could clear the sprocket. the sprockets are metal not the plastic ones. i aslo have this rig installed on my kits that has a 415 chain. sprockets still ride. i just had to grind down the side walls of the derailer to make the chain flow thru un touched.

Just think of using a derailleur with the chain threaded through it and using the up/down spring function to tighten the chain.

Looks like a good idea and all bu i would imagine that using a bicycle sprocket for 415 chain would eventually cause some sort of problem like maybe wearing your chain faster or something.

is the roller spacing the same on a 415 as a bike chain?

Back