My four stroke build- observations

"They say you can install in 3 or 4 hours- HA.".....sounds familiar...........3 or 4 hours if i know aliens are coming to abduct me. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
may help UK members

Here is a difference between the GXH50 sold in US and that sold in UK first is the QED4 version bought in the UK and the second is QXA sold in US I am not too sure if this is sold in UK but it is something to look put for.

I asked HoughMade "Did you find that the hole on the grubee 2 gear box line up, I have a GXH50 and a Grubee 2 gear box but it is badly out of line with the holes."

My problem was due to the mounting holes to allow the engine to be bolted to equipment like the cement mixer etc. These prevent a snug fit and keep the holes of the Gear box from lining up.

Just some info I hope may be useful to others, for what it is worth.

Ed

Attachments

• 6f9a_3.JPG
    6f9a_3.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Timing2.jpg
    Timing2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 273
Here is a difference between the GXH50 sold in US and that sold in UK first is the QED4 version bought in the UK and the second is QXA sold in US I am not too sure if this is sold in UK but it is something to look put for.

I asked HoughMade "Did you find that the hole on the grubee 2 gear box line up, I have a GXH50 and a Grubee 2 gear box but it is badly out of line with the holes."

My problem was due to the mounting holes to allow the engine to be bolted to equipment like the cement mixer etc. These prevent a snug fit and keep the holes of the Gear box from lining up.

Ed

fredbert,

I was just looking at the two photos above and am wondering, it appears to me that the UK engine has two sets of mounting holes. Don't the set of holes just outside of the circle match the set of mounting holes shown on the US version of the GXH50? So is what you are saying is that this surface is not flat and the outer mounting holes keep the gearbow from seating up flat? Or are the inner set of holes not drilled and tapped for mounting? I have the US Honda GXH50 but have not mated it up to any gearbox as yet.

ocscully

Last edited:
The inner holes are not tapped ocscully, the surface is flat and the supports for the outer holes prevent the grubee gear box from matching up. The housing of a bearing sits proud on the back of the gb and prevents it from sitting flat as it hits the outside hole supports.

Ed

All I can say is that the gearbox lined up and bolted up perfectly without modification.

I have been looking for a photo of the PTO side of an engine like mine, but so far I have not found one. There are four mounting holes on a raised "ring" of about 4" diameter with the shaft at the center- perfectly on center. All 4 of the holes on mine were tapped and where the shaft emerges, there was no raised portion.

Unfortunately, work issues, the holidays and weather have placed the bike-cycle lower on the priority list lately. I have a couple of more modifications to make and I think I will be getting new wheels, then when it is all mocked up and straight....again....time for dissassembly and paint.

Below are pictures from the fall. Since then, I have built new handlebars that go straight out and down instead of down and back like regular handlebars upside down.

Attachments

• bike_cycle_3.JPG
    bike_cycle_3.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 253
  • bike_side.JPG
    bike_side.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 243

Ed

Hey....thanks for that post. You may have just explained a problem I am having with a GX25 I have. It is set up to be mounted on a tiller, and has what looks like the mounting in your first picture. Did I understand correctly that I can purchase the US version of the mounting plate?

Denny

I found a picture- this is what my PTO side looks like. You can see the obvious differences.

Attachments

• gxh501.jpg
    gxh501.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 224
throttle

hey there, this is jon. i just bought a brand new honda gxh50 engine from northerntool.com for $300, with a 2 year warranty. in addition to that i bought the mounting kit from bicycle-engines.com. i will be purchasing a bike soon. anyway, i would like to know if any of you guys out there know of the best/simplest way to setup the throttle system. ive been looking around the site for good ways but they include taking parts off and getting rid of the governet. i was just wondering because i do not want to void the warranty by performing these mods. so if anyone could get back to me on some info on the throttle in addition to some good tips for performance, that would be great.:D

Thanks, Jon Herrmann

Back